Choice of projector screen

dolofsson

Hi,

I'm slowly moving on my home make over.

Now it's time for colors for living room, which is also (secondly) my home cinema room.

My floor is wooden (oak) and I will turn it a bit more dark brown, so it's quite dark. Have small white baseboards/cornices.
I'm planning to paint the walls in something like the attached picture, or green.

So, my question is - with proper curtains making the room more or less completely dark, would it still work with a white roof with projector and screen? Or do I need to paint that too? (Or is it not even sufficient with a color as the one attached on walls/roof?)

And - can I go with a acoustiacally transparent screen in front of my TV/speakers under those lighting conditions? (If not, I'm quite limited in space and probably need to stay at around 110" screen compared to 130" with AT.)

Thinking of a magazine mounted in the roof, and screen with tension. (Would Elite Screens SKT135XH-E12-AUHD be a good choice?) Is it ok to run a AT screen this far from the back wall (50-ish cm) - or will that cause a lot of light to bleed through to backside?

My plan was to eventually buy a high end projector and place it close to ceiling back of room - which means around 4.7m throwing distance. Room is 5.35m long and about 3.5m wide.

b4bb686012775252a1dd707160d1bd0c.jpg

1633978651325.png

howieeb

Hi mate - that's going to be a nice space!

What's the closest you can get your seating and what kind of budget do you have for the screen and projector? I'd be going for as large a screen as possible either way, so AT.

Re. room treatment - anything not blacked out will effect the image to some degree so it's about picking your compromise. I'd be getting a big rug down in front of the screen and be treating the walls and ceiling around it. You can go with a white ceiling - and plenty of ppl do and are happy with the compromise - but there's no way it won't be washing the picture out. If it were my space and I still wanted the room to work well as a living area i'd be putting up black velvet panels and/or curtains at the screen end, walls and ceiling. So a black hole at the end of the room. The remaining 3/4 or so of the room however you want (altho I'd still lean more towards darker/cosier colours).

dolofsson

Hi mate - that's going to be a nice space!

What's the closest you can get your seating and what kind of budget do you have for the screen and projector? I'd be going for as large a screen as possible either way, so AT.

Re. room treatment - anything not blacked out will effect the image to some degree so it's about picking your compromise. I'd be getting a big rug down in front of the screen and be treating the walls and ceiling around it. You can go with a white ceiling - and plenty of ppl do and are happy with the compromise - but there's no way it won't be washing the picture out. If it were my space and I still wanted the room to work well as a living area i'd be putting up black velvet panels and/or curtains at the screen end, walls and ceiling. So a black hole at the end of the room. The remaining 3/4 or so of the room however you want (altho I'd still lean more towards darker/cosier colours).
Hi, and thanks for the reply!

What do you mean by closest I can get my seating? Between searing position and screen? I guess it's around 3-4m.
Budget I haven't decide yet but around 6k was my original thought.
Since I also do gaming, the new VRR proj from Epson looks interesting..

Actually, I've thought of dark curtains and rug, but ceiling is something else.
It think I either need to paint it darker or keep it white, putting something up there wouldn't work for me I think.

But would AT projector work when it's like 70 cm from wall, with f.e. the TV behind it? Or will light shine through and create reflections on backside?

And what kind of material/contrast/type should I look for?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom