Choice of HDMI switch instead of AV amp

zanc

Having purchased 2 AV surround amps over the years for HDMI switching and never used the surround power outputs only the pre-outs/ I don't want to buy a 3rd AV amp so I can use it with my new LG OLED UHD HDR TV and a JVC x30 1080p projector.

I first posted this request in the AV receiver forum (should really have posted here, but wasn't thinking of a switch) for suggestions and migrated to the following solution: Purchasing a 4x2 switch with ARC. Audio extraction and ARC always seem to be bound to one of the 2 outputs. The output with ARC could be used for the TV. When the projector is used the only thing necessary would be make sure both outputs are set to the same source so that audio could be extracted and TV turned off.

Is the above feasible and what switch could anyone recommend?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Not too clear what your are planning.

You could introduce a suitable 4 Input Dual Output HDMI Switch which also has an HDMI or Optical Digital Audio Output which is connected to an AVR or AVP which in turn is connected to your loudspeaker system.

ARC can be supported on a Switch from one of your Display devices, usually the TV, though it would not normally be supported when the TV is in Standby.

Which Source devices and AVR/AVP do you plan to use and how long are your HDMI cable runs?

Joe

zanc

I've a Humax HDR Fox T2, Apple TV 4K, and LG UKB 90 UHD Bluray. Cable runs are 1m to the TV and 8m to the projector. I use a Cairn 4210 stereo amp (only line-in phonos) with Quad ESL 57s which I am totally happy with. I've never used surround sound on any of the 3 AV amps I've had.

I do have a very old Pioneer AX10 AV amp which has excellent sound and optical inputs but gets quite hot and not particularly energy efficient.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDFury Diva would be my suggestion:

4 x HDMI Inputs (supports all current 4K and HD Formats)
1 x HDMI Output (set to pass through for 2160p/HDR/HDCP2.2)
1 x HDMI Output (set to 1080p/SDR/HDCP1.4
1 x 3.5mm Stereo audio Out (via 3.5mm to 2RCA cable to your Amp).

Joe

zanc

The HDFury Diva would be my suggestion:

4 x HDMI Inputs (supports all current 4K and HD Formats)
1 x HDMI Output (set to pass through for 2160p/HDR/HDCP2.2)
1 x HDMI Output (set to 1080p/SDR/HDCP1.4
1 x 3.5mm Stereo audio Out (via 3.5mm to 2RCA cable to your Amp).

Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for info. It looks ideal for my use. It even offers scope for expansion if I ever wanted to go for surround sound. I started looking at a few others, but didn't have confidence for their reliability/functionality.

Do you know what outputs the SPDIF output offers, just in case I ever intend to go for surround audio.

Rob

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SPDIF covers you for all of the options you would expect up to DD+.

If you want access to HD and uncompressed Atmos you would have to use the HDMI Audio out to a suitably equipped AV amp.

Joe

zanc

At nearly £400 though, the HDFury Diva a tough decision when a new AV amp is an option for a bit more. However, the advantage of the Diva is that I know it will work with the Cairn 4810 and ESL 57s that work so well with each other. I can see a few difficult decisions to be made.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The reason the Diva is an option vs. an AVR is that you don’t have to mess about with HDR and SDR settings on your source devices.

The choice of HiFi Amp and Speakers doesn’t really matter (current Spk line up here includes ESL63, Martin Login, Gallo Ref3 and PMC; I guess we both like panels and ribbons :)

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You wouldn't. The Diva always outputs 1080p on it's second video out - you would be looking to exchange the Diva for a Vertex², depending on when you we're making the change we could offer you some form of trade-in.

Joe

PS Of course you could add a lower cost 1x2 4K UHD/HDR/HDCP2.2 'splitter' to the 4K Output of the Diva :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom