1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choice of camcorder issue...HELP

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by goldenfleece, Dec 28, 2001.

1. goldenfleece

goldenfleece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to decide between the SONY DCTTRV130 or the JVC GRDVL150, that's digital 8 and DV respectively. They are both priced almost identically at present, give or take £10, but I cant decide which would be better overall.

I want a camera that allows audo dubbing but have conflicting reviews on both the above machines...some say yes, some say no. The Sony site claims the TRV130 does not audio dub ...however, a certain review magazine claims it does "audio mixing" which means audio dubbing? And the JVC so one seems to know, not even JVC tech support who i emailed last week!!!

I am after spending £400 max for a new machine (bad experience with 2nd hand this year!!!!), I want PCM stereo sound, prefer audio dubbing option as my VCR, while it is NICAM stereo, does not have an audio dubbing option, so I want to mix sound on the camera later. As I said I only have a slow old PC so no question of video editing on this thing, a humble AMD 450 with 10GB hard drive!!! Cant afford an "edit suite" or new PC!

I want to make short films, as I am a Film Studies Student, and really need my own camcorder to do acceptable quality work, which really rules out hi8 I guess?

Perhaps there are other machines in my price range? Maybe a hi8 machine will do, as I believe these are still pretty good quality overall when compared to VHS-C, which is my old camcorder, sadly defunct.

Can anyone offer me advice on what to go for bearing in mind what I can spend and what I want. Thanks for any help, its a jungle out there.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I advise you don't buy any of those two camcorders.
    JVC are very bad. They are known for having problems connecting to PC.
    Digital 8 is not the way to go IMHO.
    I suggest the NVDS27 (or NVDS27B - same thing) Panasonic Mini-DV. It's going for £399 at http://www.askdirect.co.uk with free delivery.
    I'd consider the canon MV400/450 at http://www.krishav.co.uk
    If you buy 400i or 450i you get free DV capture card. (plus they have Dv-in aswell as out)

You would be happy with the panasonic or one of the canons. They are very good camcorders.

Your PC is going to do DV editing very slowly with those specs. Most importantly you need a bigger HD (40GB thereabouts) and it MUST be 7200RPM. (http://www.planetmicro.co.uk)
    You could do with a new processor too, but you may get by with the one you have.
    You will also have to enable DV-in on whichever camcorder you get if you want it going back to dv tape.
    If you want to know how, e-mail me and I'll expalin.

HTH

E.'

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. goldenfleece

goldenfleece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whjat do you think of the sHARPVL WD250H out of interest? Someone recommended it to be as it has loads of features like audio dubbing, colour view finder, zoom mic, etc.