1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choice of av receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ric_hall, Nov 10, 2002.

1. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm intending to make a purchase(first purchase - novice) of an av receiver, speakers and all relevant cabling .
    Its currently a choice between the:

Technics SADX750

Yamaha RXV396RDS

Aiwa AVD58

It will primarily be used for listening to music, but will(on occasion) be used for DVDs . I would prefer that anybody that makes a recommendation also include a basic reason as to why they came to choose that particular receiver over the others .

Thankyou

2. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than choose from the three receivers, I'd rather get an answer about a particular model .

I've seen reviews for the Yamaha 393 and 596 model receivers, but not the 396 model . They both rate the models as being fairly good value for their price range(s) .

Assuming that the build quality for the 396 model is up to the same level as these reviews would suggest, would I be correct in saying that the 396 model is a good choice of receiver?

3. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ric

How much dosh u what to splash?

4. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <=£150(inc. VAT)

5. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ric,

May I make a suggestion....if you can raise £50 on top your budget for the amp/receiver (only) then check this out: Look at QED-uk.com, empiredirect.co.uk and look at brands like Yamaha, Kenwood and Sony. Go for one with at least prologic 2. This is one the basis of price/feature (nothing to do with your tastes). For your money my choice would be Yam430 (with PLG2 and virtual 6.1). For cables, interconnects etc check out your local richer sounds.

6. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I will probably just stick with the 396 due to the fact that the current layout of my room generally prohibits the use of anything above a 3.1 system . By the time that I have picked up a centre speaker and subwoofer, and I am looking to add some surrounds to my (intended)set-up(in addition to changing the room layout), I will probably end up buying a new receiver anyway .
    I tend to take the view that when you buy any first generation piece of kit(first generation Pro-logic 2, ES/EX receivers in this case) you'll be paying more for the equipment and will have to deal with any teething problems .

7. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please bear in mind that if you listen to a maojrity of music (rather then DVD) then you compromise sound quality by buying an AV unit. AV units just done give a good sound.

You might already know this but I thought I had better just add my 2p's worth so you dont get an AV unit and wonder why it sounds a bit poor.

8. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that the integrated nature of the AV receiver will mean that it performs more poorly than a separate amplifier, tuner and decoder, but considering the monetary constraints of my budget I simply do not have much choice other than to go down that route .

9. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    ric, I'd have to agree with brad here. If you're only looking at using the receiver for 3.1, then the main attraction of an a/v receiver/amp (multi-channel surround) would be wasted. Why not go for a stereo amp (which at that price point would sound a lot better than an a/v receiver) and just run films in stereo? Unless you really need the tuner, of course, in which case perhaps a stereo receiver is worth looking at...?

10. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had initially considered looking for a stereo receiver, but even if I went for another receiver when I wanted to expand to 5/6/7.1 surround, I would still end up requiring the 5.1 channels as the (old) receiver would be set up in another room(although not necessarily with the same speakers) .

11. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The unfortunate thing here is that your budget is your enemy. I dont really know any good units for this price - they are out there though.

Can someone offer some good advice for Rics £150 budget for an AV amp?

12. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about looking for a second hand Marantz? like the x000 series. V. good with music and you should find a 5.1 receiver for about 150 in decent condition.

13. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Yamaha RXV396RDS that you can have for £50 + postage.

I've recently replaced it with a 630 model so it's in the spare room at the moment. I was going to stick it on ebay / in the sales forum, but never got around to it.

14. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm willing to purchase said item, but I will only purchase under certain conditions

My contact e-mail is rghall@mail.com
    This is a web account(not my main account, which I am not willing to post on this site) which generally does not accept attachments .
    My location is Lanarkshire, Scotland

In any e-mail you would need to specify:
    where you live(it might be easier to collect)
    what your e-mail address is
    what your name is
    what is included in the box(unit, power cable, aerial, remote, etc.)
    what condition the item(s) is/are in(what state, guarantee details(expired, etc.), plus how long you've had it)
    what method of payment you'd expect for the item
    how much you want for the item
    the expected cost of shipping

Note: If I collect then I will need to see the unit in working order before purchase . If I do go ahead with the purchase and it needs to be shipped then I will likely only accept it either on approval, or with an initial deposit(likely to be shipping only) . Upon arrival of the item if I find that it is in someway damaged, faulty or items are missing then I would return the item to you and refund your shipping costs . Otherwise, I will pay the remainder due to you in full . I will obviously include a valid name, address, e-mail(main account) and telephone number, and will look to have a telephone conversation with you before agreeing to any exchange of goods/money .

If you do not agree with any of the above conditions or wish to re-negotiate the price, etc. then I suggest you say so in any e-mail you may send to me .

I will not reveal any of your contact details with any persons not directly related to the purchase if you do decide to contact me, and would expect that you do not reveal any of my contact details either .

Thankyou,
    Richard Hall

15. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Blimey, he's thorough! :confused:

16. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't personally know the person so it's a case of 'caveat emptor' or 'buyer beware' .

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    :eek:

18. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: