1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choice of audio speaker upto £250

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bimbeemer, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Bimbeemer

Bimbeemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hey guys,

I need some help in choosing some speakers to match with my amp and cd player.

the amp is the Marantz 6010 ki
    and CD player is a NAD 524

the room is a small-med sized squarish sized lounge area and the speakers will be on stands about a cpl inch's from the side wall on either side of the room.

music taste is varied but soul, rnb , funk will be spinned more often that not...

I guess i'm looking for stand mounters rather than floorstanders as I have them as part of a 5.1 in another room and don't really want another set of maseeeve speakers in the room...

I had a short list of possible spkrs -

AE Evo 1 - simple styling but good quality

Kef Q1 - clever styling...and good quality

Wharfdale Diamond 8.1 - nice price...yellow cones...have old wharfdale spkrs at the moment so was hoping to try someting diff...

Quad 11L....more than I can afford (at the moment)....but fantastic quality and understated looks....

Can anyone give this a once over...and either suggest some alternatives that would work well with the above combo or highlight any problems in any of these bits working with each other...

and yes i know you all may say...go and listen for yourself...etc etc..i have done that to some extent when I bought the amp and cd but they did not have any of these spkrs at the time...

Thanks for your help.....

:confused:

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Going thru a similar process & have shortlisted / demoed the following:

Kef Q1 - lovely looking allbeit a trifle large. bright sounding maybe lacking bass (not a prob to me as I have a sub) - great separation & my fave if I can get it past the style police.

Kef Coda 70 - real wood veneer make this look classy similar sounding to the Q1 but overall I felt it was a touch under exciting

B&W 603 S1 - wrong colour (no maple - did I mention the style police?) but really good,couldn't fault their performance at all.

AE Evo 1 - rather too "boomy" for my taste not bad but in the above company they were swamped. Also these are rear ported so no good close to a rear wall.

FYI discounts on Q1 & B&W are very difficult to come by.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Well ... wilbur ... I assume you mean B&W 601 series 3 (rather than 603s1 which are old floorstanders). As you say they are lovely speakers ... shame you can't get the style police to accept their colour. Also many dealers will actually give you 10-15% if you ask / beg / cajole / smile nicely.

Victoria

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'm confused - are you saying that the 601's don't come in maple, or that maple isn't allowed. The 601 S3 is available in a light wood (Sorrento Oak) or black.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Tisk, you clearly would not pass muster in the style police, light oak is just so different from maple and the grille is the wrong shade as well and if you leave the grille off it just won't do (are you getting my drift) - it's better to compromise a little after all the Q1s are fantastic compared to my MX1s.

Don't tell her but I'm going to have to modify my AV rack (Quadraspire in maple) to accept the taller Q9 centre speaker, making the tv 4 cm higher than it currently is. ;)

(luv her really :blush: )

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    :eek:

:D

7. Babylon

Babylon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Style wise I don't think there are many speakers out there at the moment that look better than the Kef's,and if you can't get them past the style police then you really are in trouble,and the maple is a lovely colour.

I had the same kind of trouble with bass,as in I had to much and it seemed to be bit uncontrolled,(If that's the wright word)but I had them on a set of cheap stands which I changed for something a bit heavier which improved the bass and the general sound of the Kef four fold.

As for discounts on the Q1's Superfi seem to not mind giving them out,bought my Q1's in November for £200,the Q9c for £200,and only yesterday took delivery of a set of Q2ds's for £350 including delivery,and there internet site has them at an in-store only price £400.

8. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if yuo can go £20 more...
    Acoustic Energy Evo 3 (floorstanders) 5* What Hi Fi reviews £265 +£10 p&p from hifijunkies.co.uk

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Mentioning a 5* WHF review won't get much credence here......it's almost a reason to not buy now.

;)

10. Babylon

Babylon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    And on top of that,there pig ugly.