Question Choice of 2 rooms, which one is best

Lord Essex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m moving home soon and will have the choice of 2 rooms to use for a home cinema. I’m hoping to fit a 7.4.2 speaker set up and would like to fit a screen of at least 100”.
Which room should I choose?

1, 15ft 3in x 8ft 8in
2, 12ft x 11ft 6in

thanks for the advice

It all depends on window and door location. Id go for the square room as it will give you a better sound stage across your LCR.
A 100" screen is going to be approx 7' 6" wide. Your front speakers won't have much space to express themselves.

Do you have any room plans?

Also, are you going to be using free standing speakers or are speakers mounted behind an acoustically transparent screen an option?

If the latter, the long narrow room could be the best option.

Here’s the plans, I’m leaning towards the longer room myself and am open to an acoustically transparent screen.

Attachments

• 2B2CFDB0-8F7A-409A-ADA4-DBE821666BDB.png
    2B2CFDB0-8F7A-409A-ADA4-DBE821666BDB.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 75
I personally would use the longer room for 100", simply because upstairs in my living room I'm running 100" screen and my head is 13ft awat from the screen... and it's perfection... I could move closer... but for me, length would be better there mate, just opinion though

Definitely bedroom 2. The master bedroom looks fiddly.

Bedroom 2 is the better option with more flexibility also for the placement of speakers. An AT screen is the way to go too for that authentic cinema feel.

It looks like I’m going with bedroom 2. Let the fun begin

thanks to all for the advice

Perhaps this kind of arrangement?

View attachment 1383600

Yes exactly, although all the speaker angles would need carefully checking from the MLP. I would recommend placing both subwoofers on the front wall if possible? Your arrangement is a great starting point.

Also depends where the projector is and whether you are going for a short or long throw

We'd be delighted to assist further. Please don't hesitate to get in touch for any equipment / layout advice.

Perhaps this kind of arrangement?

View attachment 1383600
Kudos for adding a drawing to the discussion.

I'd move the Atmos speakers to a half way line between the centre and the front left/right.
And I'd probably put the rears just inside the window opening, if there's space for a blind behind.

And I'd put the side surrounds at 100 degrees (so just behind the MLP)

It’s just for me,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom