choice for pre amplifier

potemkin

Novice Member
Reaction score
After a couple of months of reading and listening to uncompressed audio of product comparisons , I came up with a configuration for listening to my old vinyl collection. Will be keeping the old Pioneer A-Z 370 amplifier and wharfadale 220 speakers for a while, decided to start with exchanging the old stanton t 52 turntable and adding a pre amplifier to my system as a first step. Turntable will be Technics SL 1200 GR will be equipped with a Nagaoka MP 200 cartridge and stylus, about these two my mind is clear. I have never used a pre amplifier before so I am completely open to suggestions about my list of preamps or any other option ( within the same price range if possible ) to suit the configuration.
Schitt Mani ( If ı can find a decent second hand )
Project Tube Box S or S2
Project Phono Box DS or DS2
Cambridge Audio Alva Duo
Musical Fidelity LV2-LPS
I mainly listen to rock, electronic, female vocals, funk and soul if it makes sense about choosing the pre amp.

Last edited:
It's 7 months on and I guess by now you've already made your decision on the Phono Pre Amp.
I was in a dilemma over either buying the Shiit Mani or the Rega Fono Mk3.
My Ortofon Bronze would be quite "compatible" with either of these.
I've ordered the Shiit Mani, not because it's $$cheaper than the Rega... but after watching some YouTube reviews, and reading other Forum reviews made the decision.
The Schiit has the settings switch's on its underside so I can fine tune it to the MM cart... or get a MC cart later on. I'm looking forward to getting it.
I've actually been using an old TANDY (Radio Shack) DJ Mixer as a Phono pre amp for many years.
It served me well however the majority of opinion say that a 'dedicated' pre amp will definitely be an improvement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom