• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Choice for a new projector, Epson Eh-tw3200 versus Benq w1100

vasilis

Standard Member
Hi, I am a new member and I have no experience of projectors except for presentations. My strongest contenders are benq w1100 and epson eh-tw3200 for home cinema. In the LCD side the only contender for me is the EPSON and in the DLP side there is Benq w1100, HC3800 and at lowest prices, pro8200, optoma hd200x and finally acer h7530d in order of price.
It is difficult to find a demo where i live (southampton) and the only option seems just to go for it.
Generally it seems that there is a consensus that DLP projectors are more sharp at least at their latest iterations (HC4000 or w1100 or pro8200) and the convergence issue of the EPSON worries me. However, the placement flexibility and warranty of EPSON is tempting, plus ProjectorPoint people swear that it has much better quality than anything else. I know that I can see the rainbow effect if I try, but only if I try (this is from my projector at work).
Finally I have another question, the EPSON gives around 500 lumens at cinema mode. Is this enough to fill a 92" screen when watching at night without ambient light (or with a candle?). Just for me to get an idea!
I feel a bit lost and I want your opinions!
Thank you :)

Jmog

Finally I have another question, the EPSON gives around 500 lumens at cinema mode. Is this enough to fill a 92" screen

Plenty. You could easily go up to 100" and beyond with that. You really don't need more than 3-400 lumens for a great movie image if the PJ is good enough.

when watching at night without ambient light (or with a candle?).

Ditch the candle. It will totally demolish the image. With a candle lit you would need to use one of the brighter image modes to compensate for the loss of brightness and colour and thereby you would lose massive amounts of black level.

vasilis

Standard Member
Thanks, ok no candle then :).

to atee12: I am thinking that the Benq is the best choice, I will probably go and demo them in projector point. Do you have the Benq?

wolvers

Distinguished Member
I would of said the TW3200 is the better choice, regardless of the fact that I own one! :p

Seriously though, the only thing I can see the Benq has over the Epson is lumens but I don't think that's enough to swing it. The Epson is a cracking PJ and a brilliant warranty too. It's super quiet too. Nuff said. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom