Choice between 2 lenses...

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stebbo2, May 1, 2007.

1. stebbo2

stebbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm looking to buy a new Zoom lens for my 400D. I have upto 400quid, but don't have to spend it all.

I have it down to:

Canon EF 70-200MM f/4 f4 L USM
    Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM AF

It's to be used as a lazy zoom walkabout lens, I'm being drawn to the L lens for it's f4 at 200mm, but I wuold be losing IS and the extra reach of the 300mm.

What are your thoughts?

I should say that this is as an upgrade from my Sigma 55-200mm.

2. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    The L lens is terrific. If you need more range, you can add a 1.4x extender (still keeps autofocus). No IS though - if you can stretch to the IS version so much the better.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    The 70-200F4L is very sharp hq lens. I've not used the other one but the 70-200 was the first lens I bought to go with my old 350d. Lack of IS is a pain but I've since just learnt to pay more attention to shutter speed and I generally just stick ISO up when I put that lens on. Virtually all the Gumball shots I took on Sunday were with my 70-200f4L and it had Tobers 1.4 extender attached permanently (thanks mate ;) ) My 5D is full frame so to get same sort of reach as you would with the 400D I now need to add the extender.

Hope this is of use.

Gordon

4. BananaTiger

BananaTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'd go for the L lens too. I've heard that the 70-300 lens isn't all that great and the cheaper sigma 70-300 surpasses it on IQ. Agree with Tobers with the extender and 70-200 combo.

5. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Not quite to sure about that but I do have to admit it is a tricky decision.

I personally plumped for the 70-300 IS but only because of the IS and the extra 100mm which I both use a fair bit. I did buy it at the same time as the camera though and I do often wonder what I would buy now if I was given the chance. Thruth is I don't really know. I would deffinately miss the extra 100mm (could be replicated with an adaptor) and the IS is quite handy on many occasions to.

However I would deffinately appreciate the extra sharpness of the 70-200 and the ring USM would make a big difference aswell. (my 17-55 has it and I now appreciate the major difference it makes from normal USM focusing).

Plus it's white which might increase my chances of being 'mistaken' for press more often which is always handy!!

The 70-300 would appear to give more bang for the buck at least on paper but it depends what you want.

6. stebbo2

stebbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been tainted by the second post... I could get the IS version of the 70-200 L, claim the 80 Canon cashback, and sell my Sigma 55-200 for 80ish also, meaning I shell out 503 in total.

I think this would be good in the long run as I intend to stay Canon when I upgrade the body next year.

7. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    :devil:

Cant fault your logic. Dont forget to budget for the extender in the near future as well.

8. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    The 70-200 seems to produce fantastic pictures, better built than the 70-300 but it's white and can draw unwanted attention to yourself!

The 70-300 also gets very good reviews from various websites and also from the users of the lens, it can produce very good images

It boils down to do you want IS and do you want the extra 100mm? If so then the choice is easy

If not get the 70-200, or both :D

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    If what you say is what you want then I may be tempted to buy the 70-300 IS. It is a great lens, has IS and an extra 100mm. Its also smaller, lighter and less conspicuous than the 70-200L and thats why I quoted your sentence and the 300 would be less of a Lazy walkabout if you get my drift

Don't get me wrong the 70-200 is a great lens I have owned the non IS and now have the IS. I only changed as I wanted indoor ability which the IS is great for.

I also owned the 70-300 IS and sold it in favour of the L but in some way I regret selling it. I bought the L for motorsport and would like to have the 70-300 for walkabout

he ho

10. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
  11. stebbo2

stebbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I ordered the 70-200 L IS through Kerso yesterday, and I'm happy with my decision. I will get the 1.4x in a month or two also.

Can't wait for tommorow now!

12. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Fantastic! What was the final price if you dont mind me asking?

13. stebbo2

stebbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    650. What swung me was the 80 Canon cashback, and being able to sell my Sigma on ebay :)

14. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Excellent!! Well you can keep us posted when it arrives and post any sample shots!!

15. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    So the Kerso lenses are Europe sourced are they? I had always assumed that they were Hong Kong imports. That's interesting (goes off to look at the current cashback deals).

16. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hmmm - I thought the same actually. I think they come from the USA or Canada, so you might have a problem when it comes to the cashback process. My 17-55 certainly had a "Canon Inc." warranty in it. Suggest you do some checking when it arrives or give his Scottish operatives a call. Dont mean to wee on your bonfire - your one could well be Europe based.

17. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I have bought quite a few lenses from Kerso including the 300 f/2.8 IS. All the lenses come from the US. I have also managed to use the cashback vouchers with no problems as his invoices are form Scotland which is where the equipment is posted from (Hence no VAT or Import)

18. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Me too!! I have used him for stuff and had no probs with Canon rebates!!

19. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Well that's interesting - thanks for the update. For these rebates, did you have to post barcodes/serial numbers - or was it simply the invoice? Is that still true with the current offers? I know on my 400D I had to post the barcode.

20. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    You have to cut off the barcode from the box and send that, plus a copy of the receipt, plus the filled in Canon form from their website. Here's the blurb: http://canonlensacc2007.onlinerebates.com/terms.aspx

Looks like you're OK with clause 2:

2. The promotion runs in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland. To be able to claim the cashback, the products must be purchased in one of these countries and you have to be a consumer of an EEA country (i.e. the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein) or Switzerland. The promotion is not open to employees of Canon or members of their family, or to any Canon agents or dealers.

The "gotcha" is clause 4...

4. The cashback or discount is only valid where these products have been originally sold by Canon in the EEA or Switzerland. Canon will not redeem this cashback or discount against any other product, except where a successor model originally sold by Canon in the EEA or Switzerland has replaced the products.

Good luck!!

21. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Tobers, I think they always say that but in reality they are a bit more flexible!!!

Only time will tell!!

22. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    All Kerso's gear is US sourced but shipped from Scotland with a Uk receipt and are eligible for cashback :)

23. stebbo2

stebbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Reading on a photo forum yesterday (one on which Kerso posts no less), loads of people have claimed the cashback on lenses from him, so I'm not worried. I will let you all know though :)

In fact, Kerso even mentioned the rebate in his email to me yesterday :thumbsup: