Chocolat

flash543

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Taken on the beach in France, he was just passing. Photography is not my hobby and quality was not factor but this kid's expression looked amazing to me and worthy of being seen!

Never entered comp before so have included all Exif info from IrfanView to be on safe side - if this is wrong could mod edit please.

Make - EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Model - KODAK CX7330 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 230
YResolution - 230
ResolutionUnit - Inch
YCbCrPositioning - Centered
ExifOffset - 506
ExposureTime - 1/180 seconds
FNumber - 4.80
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2006:08:13 20:18:04
DateTimeDigitized - 2006:08:13 20:18:04
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/181 seconds
ApertureValue - F 4.76
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 4.59
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired, auto mode
FocalLength - 16.80 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 739
ExifImageHeight - 797
InteroperabilityOffset - 2380
ExposureIndex - 100
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 111 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Wow thats a lot of information! But sadly for me the picture is under exposed and not totally in focus!

the_caretaker said:
Wow thats a lot of information! But sadly for me the picture is under exposed and not totally in focus!

That's supposed to be part of the charm!

flash543 said:
That's supposed to be part of the charm!

Really ? Explain that logic then. :eek:

Ray

the_caretaker said:
But sadly for me the picture is under exposed and not totally in focus!

I agree, doesn't really do it for me. More careful focusing and a bit of fill-in flash would have helped this shot immensely.

I can see the charm in this shot - Yes it's a little soft and dark.. so what?

If it was perfectly lit and sharp as a pin it would just be another portrait - the same as all the others.

You can instantly tell that this image was grabbed, not contrived.

My only critisism, is that I think it has been heavily cropped - I would want to see more of the subject, which would help put it into context.

I don't see where logic comes into it?

Liquid101 said:
I can see the charm in this shot - Yes it's a little soft and dark.. so what?

If it was perfectly lit and sharp as a pin it would just be another portrait - the same as all the others.

You can instantly tell that this image was grabbed, not contrived.

My only critisism, is that I think it has been heavily cropped - I would want to see more of the subject, which would help put it into context.

I don't see where logic comes into it?
Thanks - it certainly was grabbed! The full image has just a lot more blue - see attached.

I defiantly prefer this shot, it's more natural on the eye, and also gives him some space to 'walk into'

I agree with Liquid101, both on the charm of the 'poor' lighting, and also on the crop. A bit like the shot of the Russian bus (can't remember whose that was), where the lighting helped conjour up a whole different era, I think the limitations of this shot are what makes it. Fill in flash would have made it a very different shot and for me, would have spoiled it. I'm not saying it's brilliant, but it's natural, it's spontaneous and it captures something about the kid - character, I think.
Col

colbec23 said:
I agree with Liquid101, both on the charm of the 'poor' lighting, and also on the crop. A bit like the shot of the Russian bus (can't remember whose that was), where the lighting helped conjour up a whole different era, I think the limitations of this shot are what makes it. Fill in flash would have made it a very different shot and for me, would have spoiled it. I'm not saying it's brilliant, but it's natural, it's spontaneous and it captures something about the kid - character, I think.
Col
I appreciate comments. As I stated in original post, photography is not my hobby nor even a particular interest. I know nothing about the technicalities of taking photos, as some people have noticed! I only remembered taking this particular photo when I got back home and emptied the camera onto the PC.

This lad's expression had an impact on me and that is why it's here.

The original photo is 2032 x 1354 Pixels and in my "ignorance" I just cut off what I thought was excess blue to get it to an acceptable size but I can see what you and liquid mean about the effect this has had.

flash543 said:
The original photo is 2032 x 1354 Pixels and in my "ignorance" I just cut off what I thought was excess blue to get it to an acceptable size but I can see what you and liquid mean about the effect this has had.

I agree with the lads that the original is much better than the cropped version.
All that was needed was to reduce the "whole" picture to the required dimensions, what software do you have mate.

Zone said:
I agree with the lads that the original is much better than the cropped version.
All that was needed was to reduce the "whole" picture to the required dimensions, what software do you have mate.
I can get access to photoshop but I believe realistically that it would be far too complex for my needs - I don't mess with photos much, so I got IrfanView after seeing it mentioned here and I reduced the whole picture for the second attachment with that prog and it came out with a small picture as far as Kbs is concerned - 84 Kb as opposed to 120Kb for the one I originally submitted. See I can't understand that, it's all a bit of a mystery to me although I am computer literate I'm obviously a teeny bit (massively?) photo illiterate!

Irfanview is a fantastic little program and one that I use regularly; creating the thumbnails for the thumbnail page for one.

Really depends at what quality you are resaving the image, I resaved your 84kb version at 100% with a little sharpening and that went up to 215kb, worthwhile having a play :)

Maybe I'll start fiddling around, but then it's knowing when to stop that is the problem!

But then again thats the beauty about digital, make a copy of the original and play to your hearts content :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom