1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Widescreen

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marcus Wood, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone seen the new collector's edition yet? How's the picture quality?

I've got a lot of the James Bond 'Collector's Editions', also by MGM, which are mostly pretty bad.

2. Fangorn

Fangorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I Have not seen it yet myself, but all the reviews I have read say the transfer is excellent and never looked better. Sadly most have said that the extras on the discs are poor..........
    Hope that helps!

3. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    dvdfile says

Some money obviously went into giving Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a first-class restoration. The print is terrific shape. There is the occasional blemish or dropout, and some fluctuations in brightness, but overall this looks very smooth and detailed. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is also hampered a bit by the dated effects techniques of the time. Any shots involving composite matte shots or rear projection suffer from noticeable grain and slightly decreased color saturation. But what are you gonna do? At least colors are rich, vibrant, beautiful and clean. Blacks and contrast are also usually outstanding, with only a tad bit of fading in select shots.

Thankfully absent is all of that annoying edge enhancement and shimmering that marred the old laserdisc and VHS releases. Despite the film's expansive 144-minute runtime, the use of a DVD-18 negates any artifact problems. A wonderful sight to behold.

4. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I watched it on Sunday, I was very impressed. The blue screen scenes look pretty poor however, overall the restoration was very good.

It was the first time my wife has seen it and she loved it!

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got the R1 version, but I didn't think it was that great. It looks soft compared to the best DVDs - in fact it doesn't look as good as Sky Digital's movie channels.

Also the sound quality of dialogue was annoying somehow. Obviously old films never have great sound, but I don't usually find it intrusive.

Having said that, I've seen worse - like most of the James Bond discs, also from MGM. I'm sure it's a big improvement over the previous version. There's some EE, but it's not overly noticeable.