Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

chipset on pwd6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by johnski, Nov 18, 2004.

1. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just bought a pana 42pwd6 from av-sales :thumbsup: and in order to ensure that i get the best picture quality i was wondering about a few points.

1. what chipset does the pwd6 use for de-interlacing/scaling

2. what is reckoned to be the best chipset for de-interlacing/scaling

I have a pio 470 connected through component video and to be honest i can't see much difference between outputting a progressive signal and interlace signal so i'm guessing that the chipset in each is roughly the same.

Cheers

John

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You are probably right. The panasonic plasmas deinterlacing is not bad at all, so you need a good player to better it. They do not advertise what they use, their own prsumably, but it works, and at least as well as a good budget DVD player. Give it prog scan from an arcam, decent player from H-K, denon or Onkyo, you will see the difference much more clearly.

3. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So getting a budget (sub £100) prog scan DVD player will probably give me a similair picture to the one I'd get if I played a DVD through my normal DVD player and let the plasma de-interlace?

4. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

This is what i'm thinking, but where is the crossover between the dvd player producing a better progscan picture and the pwd6 producing a better progscan picture.

Do you think that it would produce a better picture on the pwd6 using something like a denon 3910 @ £800 or a pio 470 @ £85 fed to something like the cinemateq picture optimiser @ £500

All this is giving me a lot of food for thought !!!!

Rafaqat,
    I guess it all depends on the chipset and how its implemented , this is whats causing my brain to hurt, where's the crossover when its best that the pwd6 does it and when the dvd player best does it.

John