• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Chips Away - Anyone used them?

m1stergeorge

Looking at possibly using Chips away to get my front alloy wheels re-conditioned (scuffed on the edges) and sorted a minor scuff/paint gouge on my rear bumper. The wheels would be the priority though.

Can anyone give me any stories good or bad on them? Are they extortionate or reasonable? Initially I'll be looking at getting a price for the whole lot or if I were to get it done one thing at a time if the cost is higher than I'd like. Looking at using someone in the Staines/Surrey area.

Never been down this road before (boom boom!) so any advice is greatful.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
They were recommended to me once when I wanted to get some scratches on my car sorted but I never got round to getting it done.

One thing I found after reading up on them is that the quality of work can differ somewhat because every local Chips Away guy is essentially a franchise. So one area might be better than the other.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
My experience of ChipsAway has been very good. Repaired a keyed door on a 5 Series and a badly faded bumper on a Focus for about £350 in total, which was £1,000+ less than we'd been quoted at local bodyshops (they wanted to take down and respray the entire nearside of the 5!! :eek:)

The job was nigh-on perfect.

However, I have not used them for wheels. Wicked Wheels did an excellent job on my kerbed alloy, though.

depot

I have used them to repair a few chips on a silver VW Golf i had, did a fantastic job. My friend used them for a black BMW terrible job ended up with complaints and it had to go to a bodyshop for a respray of the bumper.

It depends of the skill of the franchisee in your area.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
+1 for Wicked Wheels if you have them in your area. They repaired the front alloys on my A4 a couple of years ago after they were badly scored by an incompetent tyre fitter. They did an excellent job (and the tyre company paid).

Stoofa

I cannot comment on how good they are with wheels.
What I will say is that they did an excellent job on my brother's Civic.
It had a couple of nasty little chips at the front of the bonnet - they really did a good job, blended in very well.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
One thing I found after reading up on them is that the quality of work can differ somewhat because every local Chips Away guy is essentially a franchise. So one area might be better than the other.

That's definitely the case.
One chipsaway guy we used to use (fleet work) was superb.
But the guy who took over's nowhere near as good.
Orange peel/matt finish to any repairs he's done.
Barely any better than if you attempted it yourself with some Halfords aerosols.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom