1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipped xbox owners.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Bassline@ddict, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just about to get my xbox chipped by premodded.
    Just wondering how much space a standard size game takes up on the hard drive, i think im gonna go with the 120 version anyway but if you guys have a few examples, id like to here them.

(if there another thread with this info that u know of pleaz post a link,ta)

Cheers

Steve

2. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It varies a lot. The handful that I've looked at have ranged from 700MB all the way up to 5GB+

EffTee

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Yeah, on average I'd say about 2.5

4. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers 4 that, 120 version should be ample.(for now anyway;) )

How have u found the games 2 run, any problems at all, does the in game DD5.1 run as well as off the discs.

Cheers

Steve

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Games load faster off the HDD.

No probs on the sound side and all the original discs I have stay in minty fresh condition should I wish to sell them (when I delete them off my HDD as well of course).

You really should try MAMEX and Final Burn though. Top stuff.

6. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's of any help a chipped box with 120gig HD contains approx 51 games... Of course I have noi idea how I came by this fact:)

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Game Size varies,

From

Shrek at a lowly 274Mb

to
    Metal Gear Solid & Enter the Matrix at a massive 6Gb

Via

Starsky & Hutch 3.8Gb
    SegaGT 2002 1.8Gb
    Midnight Club Racing 3.15Gb

Got to the site below, get "Game Size" from the top of the list, it'll show you how big some of the games you're interested in are :cool:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=utils

It's not got all the games in, but a fair few of them

Don't forget though,

:lesson:
    Piracy is naughty, only copy games you own to the drive

:lesson:

And another thing, the biggest drive you can use is 137Gb, XBox OS can't see anything bigger.

www.xbox-scene.com is a good source of info, tutorials etc.

8. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just had a look at the premodded website, what a great idea! Now I can load all my games to the HDD and hide the disks from my little brothers (who have a habit of scratching the hell out of a game and then asking me why the game skips:rolleyes: :suicide: )

I will probably go for the SE console with 120Gb HDD but can anyone who already has one tell me if (a) there is a switch to turn the chip off for XBLive gaming and (b) If I were to buy some american games could I play them in Progressive Scan (w/HiDef Pack).

Regards,

9. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I can vouch for the excellent quick service of Premodded.

The emulators like MAME on the TV are so much better than playing them on a PC...

Cheers
    Marc

10. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Havent got round to doin' it yet, but i will once i get payed.

Nice one for the link Jason S, its given me a good idea of wot to expect.:smashin:

Cheers 2 every1 else who replyed.:clap:

Steve

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I hate all the game boxes clogging up the lounge. I also hate moving my fat butt off the sofa to change discs....what a boring chore that is :)

The thing that's stopped by buying one of these fellas is that I've read the companies are now producing games with media checking software...so they won't load off the hard drive. Hearing that the Matrix works makes me think it's a load of rubbish. Anyone else know anything?

12. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Media checking has been around for a while, but the latest BIOS's & Dashboards have been updated to address this.

So if you can play all the latest titles you've already got the necessary fixes in the BIOS etc

13. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I am no expert at this as my xbox is not and will not be chipped - but if you are going to use Live it is generally a bad idea for the following reasons as i see it.

a) you can get a chip that you can turn off - but if you forget to trun it off and accidentally hit a Live menu option - your EEPROM will be banned and you will not be able to take that xbox online again.

b) If you have your chip turned off - the system can detect it has been modded if you have a big HDD fitted. I think this is correct - again read xbox scene for a while - when i looke dinto getting it done, the guy who chips them by me advised against HDD modifications of you are taking the console online

c) once you've played Live - offline gaming is boring. Again my opinion only.

HTH

G

14. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geoggy

In defence of modding

a: True enough, but worth the risk I say, and you can recover the eeprom if banned ;)

b: You must have your HDD locked, that's all it sees in the EEPROM, but... some drives cannot be locked, so this may be why you're advised against

c: I'd dispute this, I've not used live for about 3 months, don't miss it at all. Got banned, fixed my EEPROM, went back on, sick of kids fooling about never gone back and cancelled my account with MS.

Oasis-GasPanic

- to play on live you need the original media, no backups
    -To get prog scan you need to switch the box to NTSC mode (switch this back to PAL for XBLive). This allows you to play a lot of UK games in progressive too. There's a list on the 'net somewhere, but it's virtually all of the games.

15. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    a) as i said i'm no expert but eeprom arent exactly dead easy to get are they

b) locked - thats what they have to be - another thing to check before you take it online

c) we all have different experiences of online play my man. I have a superb friends list with lots of top blokes on - some from here and some i just stumbled across - even went paintballing on sunday with a load of lads from my friends list and they were all sound.

OK when your friends arent online you end up with annoying yanks and the occassional kid - but for me these instances are few and far between.

I never use my xbox off line now - although i just got OXBM and theres a brute force demo that i might have a lok at later in the week.

16. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As far as I understand it...

A locked drive is not something you have to check.

A locked drive does not affect the ability to use it with your Xbox or put stuff on the hard drive. Lock the drive and leave it locked.

It only becomes an issue if you want to use the drive in a PC, a PC cannot read a locked drive.

Locking is in my opinion the wrong word for it.

Cheers
    Marc

17. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uczmeg

spot on description of a locked drive, like you say lock it and leave it locked. Essentially it means it's locked (or bound) to that particualr machine and can't be read from another.

18. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Which is fine, but if your XBox goes tits-up with a 120gig harddrive in it, if you've locked the drive it's very hard to recover it.

My advise is to lock your drive only if you use XBox live with your modded XBox. I don't use Live, so I leave mine unlocked so if my XBox craps out I can use the drive in the replacement (or my PC).

19. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any of you guys/gals chip your own boxes?
    I'm thinking of chipping mine, more for the challenge than anything else.
    The hardware install doesn't bother me but does it stop there or will I need to hook it up to a PC & dabble with the BIOS?
    I was looking at using something like the Xecuter Lite.

Thanks, Paul

20. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Paden,

The Xecuter Lite chips come pre-flashed. All you need to do is fit it (you'll need OK soldering skills for that) and then use an Evox boot disk to get you started. You can then FTP to the box from your PC - and the worlds your oyster :)

EffTee

21. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    EffTee, that's not strictly true any more. The new Xecuter lites don't come with a BIOS that will run EvoX. They come with a linux-only BIOS.

After you install the chip you'll need to run through a few steps to re-program the BIOS if you want to do the usual chipped XBox stuff (media player, run games off the HDD, etc etc). This is because the evoX bios is illegal so they're not allow to sell it. It's not hard to find tho, as long as you know where to look :)

Have a look at www.xbox-scene.com for more info & tutorials.

22. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :smashin: EffTee & Mr_Belowski

Thanks for the info & link.

Cheers, Paul

23. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mr_Belowski

It must vary from supplier to supplier. The chip I bought from one of the bigger suppliers 6 weeks ago came pre-flashed with the 4976.02 BIOS.

EffTee

24. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Mine did too (about 2 months ago), but I think it's becoming increasingly rare as the supplier risks the wrath of Big Bill

25. catfud

catfud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received a pre-modded (Xecuter lite 2.2) xbox (consoleplus for £190 delivered) which has a bypass switch for xbox live and came pre-flashed. I fitted an 80 GB hard drive and ran SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer (Iso download off a P2P network like Kazaa or edonkey and burnt to a cd-rw) which automatically installed all the latest applications and evox dashboard. And there you have it, my new all-in-one home entertainment center. I now can run all my games off hard drive and, through a simple network connection with my pc, can access my entire movie, music and picture collection (also plays multi-region DVDs of course). I did a lot of research before I went ahead with this and found a lot of confusing and technical articles which really put me off but it is actually pretty straight forward when you buy pre-modded. The end result is a machine that has become instantly indispensable as my Tivo (and that’s saying something!).

26. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    but is it posiable to play with chipped machine & games running on hdrive on xbox connect or using backups

27. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just about to ordrer a Ltd Ed XBOX but had two last questions before going for it. Does the premodded console come with the software to rip the games to the HDD, and how hard is it to do?

Regards,

28. catfud

catfud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oasis-GasPanic, mine didn't come with software, just the chip with the Evox bios but not the Evox dashboard (user interface). You can gather the dashboard and other apps together separately or use Slayers (use Slayer!) auto installer. This includes an application (projectx hhd loader) that is on the Evox menu that puts a "back-up" of the game onto the hard drive with just two button presses.You can aslo choose which partition they go on (mines on a 60gb partition and with 10 games I only have about 27gb left!). It couldn't be any easier! You can then choose which game to run from Evox dashboard - no disc. Slayers is a bit big for those without broadband though, coming in at about 190mb for the Iso. Hope you get your machine and let us know how you get on!. UncagedTyphoon, not quite sure what you meant by xbox connect but hope the above answers your question.

29. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just another question before i order, what do you do with all your saves, can they transfer them at premodded or do i need a memory card to put mine on.
    I dont want to lose all my saves, hours of hard work there.

Cheers

Steve

30. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Premodded Xboxes come with everything you need.

How hard is it to put software on the HD? Insert a Disk and select the copy to HD option in HHD Loader and watch it go.

Very easy!

I put Quantum Redshift onto the HD and the game is now 1000 times better. The stupid loading times that ruined the game are reduced to about 2 seconds!

Cheers
    Marc