• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Chip interfer with backwards compatibility?

J

joeppp

Hey guys,

Just wondering, if u get a chipped Xbox 360, will it still play old xbox games, or does it interfer with that?

Also - can u play regular games on it anyway, or do they have to be copies once its been flashed?

They reliable, or do they often crash afew months after u get it done? soz about my ignorance, but i wanna learn!

Cheers

Psychic 5

Hey guys,

Just wondering, if u get a chipped Xbox 360, will it still play old xbox games, or does it interfer with that?

Also - can u play regular games on it anyway, or do they have to be copies once its been flashed?

They reliable, or do they often crash afew months after u get it done? soz about my ignorance, but i wanna learn!

Cheers

Old games should work. You can play originals or copies.

However, if you're going on live with a soft modded console you can never guarantee that dashboard updates will not render your console unusable. Furthermore with a 20 - 25 % failure rate of v1 consoles you're better off keeping it legal or do you want to risk sending back a bricked modded 360 to MS for repair?

IMHO stay legit, money well spent :thumbsup:

UKBOY

i wanna learn!

Cheers

Well perhaps you should start by familiarising yourself with forum rules.

After that, perhaps a trip to a spelling website to help with your thread title ?.;)

IF you are talking about soft modding then the search button is your friend.

J

joeppp

its amazing how often u just cant get a straight answer on forums like this! thanks to the guy who did give me some info.
I'm 22, and ive never bought a chipped console ever, and ive been playing since my old SNES when i was 10! so plz dont critisise the fact that i'm just wanting to clear up some things I've heard from a friend of mine who can get one on the cheap - it makes sence whether its chipped or not, to get an Xbox 360 for £100, than the extortionate price of over £250 in the shops, and I happen to know a guy who has one. I'm not necessarily gonna get it.

And lol 2 the spellings, im not too bothered if ive spelt incorrectly when ive made a quick message without rereading thru.

forum rules? please dont hang me at dawn for mentioning a console being chipped, its not like im the first to ask about it

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
some forums are far too anal about piracy. This being one of them, it's not like he asked for links where he could get his 360 chipped. He was simply curious and if he does get it chipped so what, it's his money and his 360.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
its amazing how often u just cant get a straight answer on forums like this! thanks to the guy who did give me some info.
I'm 22, and ive never bought a chipped console ever, and ive been playing since my old SNES when i was 10! so plz dont critisise the fact that i'm just wanting to clear up some things I've heard from a friend of mine who can get one on the cheap - it makes sence whether its chipped or not, to get an Xbox 360 for £100, than the extortionate price of over £250 in the shops, and I happen to know a guy who has one. I'm not necessarily gonna get it.

And lol 2 the spellings, im not too bothered if ive spelt incorrectly when ive made a quick message without rereading thru.

forum rules? please dont hang me at dawn for mentioning a console being chipped, its not like im the first to ask about it
If it wasn't illegal, we wouldn't be bothered. But it is, so I don't think you can complain when you get responses like you do. We are NOT going into a discussion about the morality of piracy or this thread will be closed.

To be clear, we do allow discussion around piracy issues, but the line is drawn where methods to do so are discussed and linked to.

ukkev2000

They can get banned and then useless for Live & updates.

Seems pretty pointless as games cost £10 or so... assuming you chop your last game in for a new one. Not bad value IMHO.

T

TurquoiseShark

I do think its naughty for Microsoft to completely scuttle live access on a console for modding. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer an upload to reset the console back to factory settings for a nominal fee, this would only mirror what Microsoft currently do with dodgy copies of Windows.

Throw in a complete reset of gamerscore too and that would be enough to deter casual pirates.

AdsterUK

I do think its naughty for Microsoft to completely scuttle live access on a console for modding. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer an upload to reset the console back to factory settings for a nominal fee, this would only mirror what Microsoft currently do with dodgy copies of Windows.

Throw in a complete reset of gamerscore too and that would be enough to deter casual pirates.
I wouldn't have a problem if they bricked the entire console. You pays your money (or not in this case) and you takes your chances.

Back on track, if someone is selling a modded 360 for £100 I'd be expecting something wrong with it, very likely that its been banned from Live.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom