Chinese writing on DVDs

I recently purchased a DVD from Hong Kong and was extremely annoyed to discover it had Chinese writing on the cover:mad: :mad:

It has really put me off buying from Hong Kong:(

Does anyone why this happened and can you suggest a Hong Kong supplier that sells DVDs with English only covers:confused:

S

Squirrel God

I feel the same way about my R3 copy of The Gift. Not only is there Chinese writing on the cover, but also the menus. And they have even provided Chinese subtitles as well. Terrible :( ;) :D

S

Squirrel God

Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
You think that is bad, I just had a look at my copy of Battle Royale and all the cast and crew have had their names written in Japanese:mad: :mad:
You're off thread there. This thread is clearly about CHINESE writing. :D

Bone Daddy

Thats nothing,I pulled out one of my Chinese films - `The Legend of Zu`and the bast**ds even have Chinese actors in it,and they have Chinese names as well :D

J

John-D

Off topic, I know :blush: but...

Why do Chinese girls have small plats?
Coz Chinese boys have small plicks! :eek:

JD

Reiner

Of course you have to expect that DVDs from other countries are labelled with the local language, R2s in Germany have German writing and thus Chinese DVDs have Chinese writing. No surprise, especially if this are local releases.

But here comes the good news: the original R3 releases of the big studios in Asia are basically re-coded R1 discs (though sometimes the e.g. DTS track has been omitted in favor of an Asian soundtrack) with Asian subtitles sometimes you will find the English cover right behind the Chinese one!

Well, and if you didn't buy original ones you don't deserve any better anyhow ... :devil:

D

Delorian

Somebody gave a site there a while ago where you can download excellent versions of real, and custom DVD covers. Maybe if you check them out you'll find some for the films you bought.

mjn

Distinguished Member
"I recently purchased a DVD from Hong Kong and was extremely annoyed to discover it had Chinese writing on the cover

It has really put me off buying from Hong Kong

Does anyone why this happened and can you suggest a Hong Kong supplier that sells DVDs with English only covers"

er...perhaps, because they speak cantonese in Hong kong!!

You ****ing idiots!!

kevb

Ooooooo, sense of humor failure someone does not understand sarcasm and irony.:p

mjn

Distinguished Member
S

Squirrel God

Originally posted by mjn
er...perhaps, because they speak cantonese in Hong kong!!

You ****ing idiots!!
Think they also speak Mandarin.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Mandarin is spoken in mainland China.

Official languages of Hong Kong is Cantonese and English.

S

Squirrel God

Originally posted by mjn
Mandarin is spoken in mainland China.

Official languages of Hong Kong is Cantonese and English.
Okay. Had a brief thing with a HK girl once, she spoke Mandarin and Cantonese - that's why I thought that.

mjn

Distinguished Member
With hong Kong being handed back over to the the Chinese, Mandarin is starting to filter thru into Hong Kong.

S

Squirrel God

Originally posted by mjn
With hong Kong being handed back over to the the Chinese, Mandarin is starting to filter thru into Hong Kong.
She's 31 now and was speaking it from a young age. But I take your point.

Mjn are you ever happy?

Miserable so and so... have a Cadbury's Caramel!:D

mjn

Distinguished Member
of course i'm always miserable........

i live in a country where i can't get anything faster than 56k net connection at home, can't get any decen thi-fi equipment, oh....and i'm on night shift.....so no bedtime until 9am...

S

Squirrel God

Originally posted by mjn
of course i'm always miserable........

i live in a country where i can't get anything faster than 56k net connection at home, can't get any decen thi-fi equipment, oh....and i'm on night shift.....so no bedtime until 9am...
This'll cheer you up

wave.gif

Aaaaaawwwww look how cute it is , aaaaaawwwwwwww :) And it's waving at you :) :D

MJN, if it's so bad in Dublin why don't you just move!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021: 21st-22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package
  • By Andy Bassett