Chinese Multimedia HDD players

phil-uk

I had one of these (not the exact model) but one from Maplin and it worked fine for about 2 wks then the video features packed up. I could still use it as an external USB HDD but could not use the media features.

I returned it for a full refund.

Personally I'd only buy the Freecom one now or another more expensive model. I wouldn't buy a non branded one again.

l33robbo

Standard Member
I had one of these (not the exact model) but one from Maplin and it worked fine for about 2 wks then the video features packed up. I could still use it as an external USB HDD but could not use the media features.

I returned it for a full refund.

Personally I'd only buy the Freecom one now or another more expensive model. I wouldn't buy a non branded one again.

Thanks for the insight phil, what was the video playback quality like?

phil-uk

what was the video playback quality like?

To be honest I was quite happy with the video quality and was happy with the unit for the 2 weeks it did work. Mainly used it with Divx and Xvid movies and they were absolutely fine.

The menu wasn't great and it only supported FAT32 but all in all it did the job well enough (for 2 weeks).

robtek70

I haven't tried the ones mentioned but I do have a Sumvision AquaPlus Multimedia Player Enclosure which you put 31/2 drives in. I use it to play my movies,music picture files. In fact I have 3 all with 320gb drives and each one works flawlessly. The only slight problem I have found so far is that you must format the drives to fat 32 so you are limited to files just under 4gb but that shouldn't be a problem with divx files.

M

magicman2007

Hi people,
Has anyone tried these portable HDD players available on Ebay? They are basically a 2.5" hard drive caddy with player functionality. DivX support etc for playback on TV or monitor.....

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/otg-usb-hard-disk-enclosure-media-player/

Any feedback would be very welcome.

DONT BUY IT !!!
I have one from Malaysia ½ year ago... its working 1 months, and then its stopped. i cant use it for long time, so i cant stop, skip, play files.. it like the system get to hot. have to take the power cable out and wait for 1 or 2 hour for look another movie ! cheap crap !

l33robbo

Standard Member
DONT BUY IT !!!
I have one from Malaysia ½ year ago... its working 1 months, and then its stopped. i cant use it for long time, so i cant stop, skip, play files.. it like the system get to hot. have to take the power cable out and wait for 1 or 2 hour for look another movie ! cheap crap !

Crikey!! Bit of a heat issue then?
Too late to stop me but @ £19.50 it wont break the bank.
I have a few bits and bobs from my electronic tinkering on amps so I'll look at putting some effective heatsinking into the chips before I try and use it.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom