1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese HVD

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sgauntlett, Mar 24, 2005.

1. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Chinese HVD player with some discs. This is the Chinese competitor to HD-DVD but uses red-laser technology and VP6 compression from ON2. www.on2.org

The player also plays ordinary DVDs and can upconvert the output to anything up to 1080p!
    http://www.neodigits.com/body/product/HVD208/feature.asp

So far, I have to say that I didn't like the upconverted pictures as I could see a fair amount of aliasing from the scaler. However, the HVDs look really good, particularly "The Travelling Birds". "Flying Daggers" was a bit dissappointing as it looked like they had scanned an old cinema print of the film as there were a lot of scratches and hairs visible; no compression artefacts though.

Does anyone know what bitrate and resolution they use for the VP6 encoding of these HVDs?

All I can find...in english...is the name of the decoder chip and the HD resolution outputs it can provide, no mention of the encoded video resolution.

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait for the proper western technology mate, these mickey mouse HD Discs from Asia are probably made from melted down woks :thumbsup:
    YES........ I know most of the inventors of Blu-Ray and HD DVD are Japanese, but they'd still be fishing in their sandals it it weren't for us, innit. ; :oops:

3. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

I guess that every country in the world that has been 'colonised' in the past by the UK, and which has prospered in recent years owes it suuccess to you then????

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    May have been invented in Japan or the USA matey, but I suspect that most of the electronics that you've bought in the last 3 years (including most of your PC) has been made from "melted down woks" :)

5. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than turn this into a thread for international relations..... :(

Anyone got any thoughts on the format?

Anyone else got one?

A friend of mine has translated a few more websites and the plot thickens...

HVD appears to be MPEG-2, 960x720 p 24Hz, at around 18Mbps....

HDV is different and may be Divx or MPEG4 depending on which website you believe.

EVD is the one using VP6 and 1920x1080 p 24Hz

All this info has come from news sites so if anyone know a "reliable" source, I'd be pleased to hear from them. :smashin:

Thanks

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, guys I was joking, I meant no offence, really :hiya:

As for these Pseudo HD DVD's coming out, I personally wouldn't touch em, and I doubt any Hollywood studio would either. Let's wait for the 1920/1080p Blue laser discs, I've got a feeling they will be worth it :thumbsup:

7. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If their using MPEG 2 and red laser technology. how the hell can they get 960-720p @ 18mbps, unless they only have about 30 minutes of space on the disc :confused:

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    How big are these HVD disks? Slightly bigger than a DVD or what?

In theory if a DVD had more capacity we wouldnt be needing BluRay or HD DVD. The only real benefit to these new formats is the blu lasers and the bigger sizes.

9. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Agree 100% mate (I thought it was funny!). Buying products that aren't supported is a bit pointless really. How many HiDef films will be realeased/ how long will they make the blank disks for?? You can buy Blu ray DVDRs now (OK they're £1500+) and the price is only going to drop. I think you'll look back in 6 months and think 'Wish I'd have waited'.

10. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the Blu-Ray DVD Recorders that you can buy now from Ebay will not be compatible with the Blu-Ray DVDs that Hollywood will release next year! These Japanese machines are only useful for recording and playing back japanese broadcasts!

For £150 I have an HD player now, with House of Flying Daggers and a couple of other features and I think you'll be supprised about the weight that China can put on the 50Hz market.

As for the bitrate, I'm confused as to how it HVD works as I can read the disc in a PC but cannot play the files or work out much about them so I'm only going on info found on press releases which isn't always accurate.

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm positive i've read a review on this in one of the PC magazines it's all a bit hazy now. China has a huge film industry & the market is the largest in the world so i guess HVD will be well supported