Chinese HD DVD players invade the World.....

H

HighDeff

Chinese HD DVD players invade the World.....

bbk.jpg

Haier.jpg

TCL.jpg

QHTF.jpg

Take a look at these players, they look a lot like the 3rd gen Toshiba HD DVD players. When will they invade Europe.???

:)

These are chinese market only players. It's the special format they came up with to keep piracy in china, actually in china.

I used to sell Haier brand refrigeration products. Not bad kit.

No, that´s CH DVD, HD DVD is the rest of the World. These could see Europe soon.

:hiya:

I;m not convinced :)

It's far too easy to miss quote stuff from chinese sites. It'll be good if it's true but i'll wait for proper confirmation.

What's clear is CH-DVD is based pretty much lock stock and barrel on HD-DVD. Therefore, manufacture of CD-DVD in volume, will increase component volumes for both HD-DVD and CH-DVD, as their pretty much one and same. Thus the likelyhood of chinese HD-DVD players at cheap prices is greatly increased, they'll probably be made in the same factories side by side.

The idea is that the phyical guts of HD DVD and CH DVD players will be pretty much identical, but the way the data is modulated (or something like that) is different.

Remember when unleaded came in and you had to get your car re-tuned?

Or Channel 5 and you had to get your video re-tuned?

A bit like that.

So no, you can't just import one of these - that's not the point.

The point is that both Chinese and European/US machines can be made in the same factory using the same parts, with all the massive benefits of economnies of scale.

But to paraphrase Arnold Schwarzenegger, playing Dutch in 'Predator', "They're ugly mother:censored: !

Steve W

Where do you think these players will do the most MONEY, if you ask those Chinese manufacturers.

I guess US and EU, what do you think...??

:D

I;m not convinced :)

It's far too easy to miss quote stuff from chinese sites. It'll be good if it's true but i'll wait for proper confirmation.

What's clear is CH-DVD is based pretty much lock stock and barrel on HD-DVD. Therefore, manufacture of CD-DVD in volume, will increase component volumes for both HD-DVD and CH-DVD, as their pretty much one and same. Thus the likelyhood of chinese HD-DVD players at cheap prices is greatly increased, they'll probably be made in the same factories side by side.

If you look, 2 of those players have the proper HD-DVD logo on them, so surely these cannot be the CH-DVD machines you speak of?

Maybe I'm wrong of course, but I don't think I am.

Is this the same people that walmark/asda paid recently to produce some drives ?

Try to compare those Chinese HD DVD players, with the brand new 3rd gen Toshiba players, presented at CEDIA in Denver 3 days ago.:

These are the Toshiba´s

mini-cediaday1-264.jpg

mini-cediaday1-274.jpg

mini-cediaday1-267.jpg

They look a lot alike. Believe me, we´ll see a lot of these in Europe soon........

:hiya:

Aren't at least some of the pictures showing the HD DVD logo?

Absolutely right, players with the HD DVD logo isn´t for the Chinese market, but rest of the World, say EU and US.

Othervise they´ve shown a CH-DVD logo.

:)

The four Chinese CE manufacturers are:
  • BBK(OPPO)
  • Haier
  • TCL
  • Tsinghua Tongfang
They appear to be based on the TOSHIBA HD-A30, which may indicate the A30 uses the Microsoft/Broadcom SoC solution and should be a lot cheaper to build than the A2 - hence very low US Xmas prices.

If Oppo start selling HD DVD players, this could be very interesting.

Good news on these players :thumbsup:

I assume they are based on the Microsoft/Broadcom solution. Are the pictures from one of the recent trade shows or factory shots? I'm guessing we'll see them here and in the US within 12 months.

No BluRay fanboys on here so far saying that the photos have been doctored, that they don't exist and if they do exist they would be rubbish. Happy with the new rules and they seem to be working.
They look great to me escpecially the Haier model. Hopefully an alternative to the Venturer this xmas. A price of £129-£149 would be great.

No BluRay fanboys on here so far saying that the photos have been doctored, that they don't exist and if they do exist they would be rubbish. Happy with the new rules and they seem to be working.

:smashin:

I'm hoping these players drive each others' prices down.

Steve W

Some interesting info posted on AVS:

Summary

1. CH DVD plans to debut during 2008 in China. TCL, Tisnghua Tongfang, BBK(OPPO), and Haier showed demo machine which were basically a clone of Toshiba A30. Toshiba also demo a CH DVD machine which is a clone from HD-XF2(HD A2). Shinco didn't show anything.

2. Two demo machine have HD DVD logo on it. This doesn't mean they could play HD DVD. It was because CH DVD logo wasn't ready yet. The difference between a CH DVD player and a HD DVD player was firmware. Hardware is the same.

3.The main difference between CH DVD and HD DVD was the CP protection and interactive layer. CH DVD supports AVC,VC1,MPEG2 besides AVS(a variation of AVC). The IP for AVS is around $0.15.

4. Two Chinese manufactures were able to develop CH DVD OPU which could also be called HD DVD OPU with the help of KONICA MINOLTA Japan.

5. It took one CH DVD player 13sec to play a demo disc in VC1 starting from loading.

6.Philippe Cardon from WHV said they would release either HD DVD or CH DVD in China very soon. They are incline to HD DVD instead of CH DVD at this moment. Bluray release would come later because there is no bluray replication line in China.

7. BRCM would probably add AVS to their SoC design. Sigma Design currently doesn't have plan. Hualu propose AVS to BDA recently. BDA is rumored also interested in doing a CH-version. Sony and Panasonic were at this meeting.

http://stor-age.zdnet.com.cn/stor-age/2007/0907/495410.shtml

This is great for high def.

The opening price for the HD-E1 of £450 was far lower than I expected from a 1st gen (as it was for Europe) high def player.

We already have this available for £200 after only 8 months.

The Venturer will almost certainly be less than that by Christmas.

This article suggest prices will go down a lot further: "New Chinese Involvement Could Trigger HD DVD Price Plunge".

If prices are set to plunge from current levels, that is very, very good news.

I can't see the format not surviving at that price point.

Steve W

THat piccie of Tosh player says 5 free HD DVD from 1st October

will that be our UK deal ??
i hope so

THat piccie of Tosh player says 5 free HD DVD from 1st October

will that be our UK deal ??
i hope so

Yes, the next Tosh promo will be 5 free HD DVD's - no confirmation of when it will start but I imagine it will be in the nexy few weeks:thumbsup:

The Toshiba press release at CEDIA indicated that HD DVD players from Shinco, Ventura, Alpine, Onkyo and Integra will ship by early Q4 2007.

Shinco and Ventura are only two official Chinese HD DVD players to be announced. The other 4 CH DVD players based on the A30 may also turn up in the near future as HD DVD players are the differences are small.

It does appear that Toshiba and its allies have the low price end of the market well covered in coming months.

I should imagine the bulk of these Chinese HD DVD players will emerge in the UK next year - possible around Q4 when prices will likely be sub-£100.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom