1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chineese AV - your opinions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stonedragon, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anybody seen the latest edition of Hi-Fi World? Well they review a CD player (I know this is the amp section, but bear with me :) ). The CD in question is the Shanlin CD-T80, costing about £650 from an English dealer and about £450 if you buy from US (including shipping and VAT). Now according to the reviewer, not only is this able to take on everything else in the price bracket (Cambridge Audio, Primare, Cyrus, Music Fidelity etc) but in his opinion it wouldn't blush against equipment upto 2K and beyond in both build quality and in the sound department.

Now my question is this, has anybody had any experience with any Chineese equipment at all?

You see, if you do a search, amplifiers that seem incredibly speced can be had for a few hundred quid. For example how does a class A amp, with twin power transformers for each channel, rated at 100W into 8ohms, stainless steel remote and weighing in at 56lbs :eek: for about £350 sound? To good to be true you may say, but going on the reviews I've seen on the net, this is the real deal. Compare this against say a Sugden A21SE also rated as class A, but at a mere 35W, but costing £2k and you see where I'm coming from.

Are these deals from Chineese manufacturers the best kept secret in the world of AV? If anybody has any thoughts I would love to hear them, because I may just well re-think everything I was going to buy!!

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Reading spec sheets as a guide for sound quality would make buying dead easy if it were as simple as that. The only way to find out if these work well is to listen to them. As compelling as they seem on paper, it will be how they sound that dictates if they will win the hearts and minds of the hi-fi buying audiophile.

3. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you please provide us with some links where we can get more information about these products?

4. koshatnik

koshatnik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Chinese headphone amp, made by G&W. It cost £100 and I got it off ebay after hearing my friends one. I was going to get the Creek OBH special edition for £250 or something, but after heaing the G&W one for less than half the price of the Creek, I went with that instead. But its like everything, its personal taste.

There may be a stigma about chinese hifi products in terms of quality, but then that applies to all manufacturers if you ask me - established companies like Marantz, Rotel, Cyrus etc have all made their fare share of overpriced crap in their time.

In regard to my headphone amp, I really like it. It's sound was not far off an established headphone amp at half the price, and it looks good too. I'm more than happy with it.

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I expect there to be a fair amount of snobbery regarding these products espcially when comparing them to Sugdens. The way I see it is if labour costs are cheaoper in China and they use the same high quality components there is no reason why they shouldnt be as good but much cheaper than any equivalenbst made here.Main thing is to listen to the Shanlins and make your own mind up

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  10. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The only thing British about many British products is their design. The Chinese are getting an insight into this whole business because we are assembling there instead of here or other traditional assembly locations. As they learn they will eventually be able to match sound quality as well as concept. This is going to be an interesting area of our hobby to monitor, not only to see what the Chinese can come up with, but also how our traditional brands react.

11. koshatnik

koshatnik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Cable monkey is right, I think that most British Hifi manufacturers have outsourced construction to China/taiwan. I know musical fidelity have, and you can't say their stuff is exactly ***** :) There should be no difference at all between an established western hifi manufacturer outsourcing to china and a chinese hifi manufacturer building stuff in china if the components used are of a similar quality. It all comes down to snob value and people preferring to stick to what they know (or think they know). I would certainly be interested in demo-ing other chinese hifi gear in the future - the best thing is to be open minded about everything and hear it first before buying. Which is true of all gear, regardless manufacturer.

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I agree with the above, it all depends on the approach the manufacturers have taken, have they just bolted loads of (hopefuly) high end component together or have they designed and listened to get the best performance. If the latter then most big named western brands may find them selves in big trouble, if the fore though then good design can make the difference between very good and pants.

If yoy take a speaker put it in an mdf box and give it a nice finish, put in the worlds best drivers and crossovers, won't sound as good as say a higly engineered B&W speaker, where alot more goes on inside.

We need to listen and try with open ears though!

13. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a CAYIN mt12 valve amp which has superb
    construction and sound for the price.I purchased from Audiogon.
    I also have a Xindak xa6800 100w class A and again superb construction
    appearance and importantly superb sound.I purchased this from ebay.
    I can say I also have Naim amps,and confirm that the Xindak
    has a superb sound.It would certainly be interesting to compare to the Sugden
    which costs 5-10 times more.

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  15. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fama, the Xindak is also one of the amps I had in mind, the specs look mouth watering good, but the question is whether in your opinion it is as good/better as the Naim you've had?

I was thinking of spending about 5k just for a stereo setup, split about £3000 for a source/amp and the remainder for speakers. But if Fama findings are true from my perspective I could save over £2k on the budget I was putting aside for the amp/source :eek:

If such equipment is comparable to the Naims and Sugdens of this world, how will British manufactures respond? I suppose in answer to my own question, either by lowering their prices, folding or getting the British press to rubbish them. Intresting times. Thanks to all who have replied to my original post, any more opinions and thoughts welcome.

16. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The set up I'm currently using is the Pioneer cdp quad 11L as per sig
    and the xindak xa6800.I dont know if you have seen any pics
    of this but the appearance is superb.
    The sound is "three dimensional" ie has depth and instruments
    again have that punch as well as depth.
    I have a Naim 62 140 hicap.A friend has cdx2 naim 200 B&W 805
    and he has listened and rates this a very good amp.At the price
    its peanuts compared to Naim prices
    Mostly everything is made in China these days,indeed hifi
    rebranded and prices hyped.
    Quad for example is chinese made.

17. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Here is Shanling's website: http://www.shanling.com/index_e.html Beware of the English though. ;)

Have heard good things about them. Their AV Processor (SDAV-2000) however looks strikingly similar to my Usher Audio DV-9, which was labelled something Japanese-sounding on the box (a Google search did not return any result); might be an OEM/ODM product of some kind. Usher Audio is a Taiwanese company BTW and I also have an R1.5 power amp and the X-719 speakers. Cool stuff and very cheap here. :thumbsup:

18. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    There is a chance that I will be going to Beijing for a couple of months soon (though the way the contract set up/admin with the client is going we'll see...). If so I will be certainly seeking out some Hi-fi shops - there must be some in Beijing). Will report back when and if.
    I suspect that self control will be needed.....

Anyone else on the board been out there ? surely someone has...

19. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
  20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Did you buy them from Hiaudio( Uk distributor) or direct from manufacturer?

21. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bought it directly from the manufacturer, they have two shops here in Taipei (my current place of residence).

They also provide great service: didn't like the color of the R1.5's face plate and the white power switch, so they customized it for me. They have differently colored face plates and black switches for different models and since the amp wasn't build yet it was no problem to assemble it the way I wanted. :)

22. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Can someone link to the other thread listing all these Chinese companies amps and CD players etc, only I can't seem to find it.

Cheers

23. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157