China's Military Budget

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
China's military budget has increased from 10billion GBP to 120billion GBP *in the past ? years.

Something going on we don't know about?

Last edited:
Wow, that's a huge increase. Should we be worried?

There was a good program on the TV about it yesterday.

What the hell do we spend £57bn a year on seriously?

I thought those figures were in relation to military spending and doesn't including all the above @nheather ?

I did only have a quick look so maybe I'm wrong?

Edit...It does say "defence budget"

So £57bn just on our military?

I thought those figures were in relation to military spending and doesn't including all the above @nheather ?

That's the tri services, including overseas deployment, machinery, development, research, wages.

I understand its the RAF/Navy/Army, i.e the defence budget, but fifty seven billion dollars :eek:

I find it hard to grasp that such a small country with a relatively sparse military in each sector manages to spend so much on its military. When you consider how much more kit and personnel the US have compared to us they spend very little on their military.

I understand its the RAF/Navy/Army, i.e the defence budget, but fifty seven billion dollars :eek:

I find it hard to grasp that such a small country with a relatively sparse military in each sector manages to spend so much on its military. When you consider how much more kit and personnel the US have compared to us they spend very little on their military.

You have it the wrong way round. The USA spend over 10x what we spend for around 6x the manpower.

Phil

Last edited:
You don't get change out of two hundred quid for an army toilet seat. At least not in the US

China has seen a boom with it's economy in recent years and they are looking at a complete overhaul of their military assets which costs a lot of money.

Arcam-boy said:
What the hell do we spend £57bn a year on seriously?
Is this a serious question? The UK military is heavily engaged including:
- Protection of UK and dependent territories (such as Falklands) including Quick Response Alert fighter interception, fast response warships and a land rapid reaction force.
- Contingency operations in the UK (e.g. foot and mouth) and abroad
- Support to dependent territories
- Anti-Narcotics/Piracy patrols
- Fishery Protection / enforcement duties off and around UK
- Warships off Syria / contingency for Ukraine
- Permament military presence in the Gulf (Minehunters, RAF contingent, Frigate and Destroyer) providing assurance of delivery of the 90%+ of the UK's LPG supply that comes through the straits
- Continuous Nuclear Deterrence at Sea
- Intelligence gathering
- Surveying operations at sea
- Air/Sea rescue in parts of the UK and in some dependant territories

I think the OP's got the figures wrong. I believe it should be China's military spending has increased by $10 billion. So it was $110B and now it's $120B. It's actually quite a lot lower than I expected, on average nations spend 3% of GDP on defence, whereas China spends 1.5%.

Sorry, I was just illustrating that there are other ways the country spends such sums of money.

Cheers,

Nigel

You have it the wrong way round. The USA spend over 10x what we spend for around 6x the manpower.

Phil

But how many subs/aircraft carriers/stealth planes/bases in general do they have compared to the UK.

We've got a few subs and frigates, no aircraft carriers yet. A few decent fast jets, an average sized army. I remember pulling in to one of the american naval bases when I was serving on Invincible and they had more ships docked up than our entire fleet!!

Of course its a serious question.....57 billion dollars on a military that would struggle to defend an island the size of Britain.

I know we have huge national debt etc I know the UK/Britain spends a massive amount a year just shocked we spent $57 billion on defence.

Agreed, bad having good equipment is a big advantage

But how many subs/aircraft carriers/stealth planes/bases in general do they have compared to the UK.

We've got a few subs and frigates, no aircraft carriers yet. A few decent fast jets, an average sized army. I remember pulling in to one of the american naval bases when I was serving on Invincible and they had more ships docked up than our entire fleet!!

Of course its a serious question.....57 billion dollars on a military that would struggle to defend an island the size of Britain.

I know we have huge national debt etc I know the UK/Britain spends a massive amount a year just shocked we spent $57 billion on defence.

I was pointing out that our personnel is proportionately higher than theirs.
They spend 10 x what we spend, so if we had one aircraft carrier (OK, I know we don't yet), you'd expect them to have around 10. Guess how many they have...
Overall, their capability doesn't appear to be out of step with what they spend, and neither does ours. This is quite a good site:

World Military Strength Comparison

I am of course assuming that the data is reasonable accurate! There are some interesting ones - we have more mine sweepers, presumably because we are a small island. They have a huge helicopter fleet.
But from what I can see, our armed forces are what you'd expect for the money, compared to what the USA get for their money.

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom