1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China direct- DVD Bargain?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Crocodile JD, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all

I'm going to China soon and was woundering if there's a chance off picking up a bargain player over there?

I'm after a decent Pal Prog player. For a UK buy I was looking at:- Limit 9900SE, Phillips 963SA and HK DV25, but that's not exclusive.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of the Chinese market direct? Is it possible to pick up a UK compatable machine over there and if so what models should I look out for? As so many of them are made there, I was thinking there's a chance?

Any feed back much appreciated

Crocodile JD

2. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I only have experience of Hong Kong and Singapore (both of which handily use UK type plugs)

I picked up a fair bit of stuff in Singapore; you have to shop around so much and be careful not to start bargaining and haggling and then walk out (considered very rude), so your wording has to be careful.

Bottom line is we saved about £200 on the Panasonic camcorder, £100 on the LV50 portable DVD player; both from Singapore. But it's risky, and warranties are meant to be Worldwide, but you can have problems there too.
    UK cutoms can charge you heavy duty and VAT if you bring back more than about £200 worth of stuff from outside the EU. (Duty can be charged on anything, not just beer and fags, and is about 20% of the price, which when added to VAT means a possible 37% bill before you can bring it in... )

A much better option might be Dixons Duty Free, who will admittedly have a higher initial price, but knock off the VAT, and deliver to your home address upon your return...

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I've been digging around and found some possibilities:

BBK-DV939 (Guangdong China) but is it Pal Prog?

Nitaus PDVD-N9769 (Guangdong China) as advertised on Hivizone.com they claim is Pal Prog but I can't confirm from Nitaus web site. It does confirm Faroudja DCDI tho.

Mizuda PDVD2255 (Part of Nintaus I think) claims Pal Prog, which might be the same as the Avia player which might be the same as "THE BEST EVER DVD PLAYER" as claimed by Andrew Boss on e-bay.

Skyworth 1050D (HK China) Pal Prog with Faroudja DCDI

Skyworth 2750PW (HK China) Pal Prog with Faroudja DCDI

and of course the Limit if not made by any of the above but I can't find anything on this.

Anyone know anything about these players?

Crocodile JD

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Crocodile JD,

If you search on my threads then there are a couple of them where I talk about the new range Nintaus dvd players.

They are regarded as among the best now in China (from what chinese friends says), although they are not the biggest brand. Some of the designs are the same as JVC/Panasonic and I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese machines are made by Nintaus and then J & P put a bit of their own stuff and rebrand it.

the current top models are
    http://www.nintaus.net/english/product/dvd/9868.htm which in china is called DVDP-N868 and it has the new Zoran 6 chip, dvd-audio, pal-prog

http://www.nintaus.net/english/product/dvd/9888.htm
    in china is called DVDP-N888 and it has the new Zoran 6 chip, pal-prog,

Now I have the 828 which a friend bought for me in Shanghai for only £80, http://www.nintaus.com/chinese/prducts/dvd/828.htm
    it has very nice clean silver design, a cool tiny slim line blue light below the tray, zoran5chip for pal-prog, multi-reg, component out, and VGA out as well but a chinese remote.

If you think that Limit-9000SE was launched at £199 and now £149 and it has the same stuff but no VGA out, it was more than 50% cheaper there. And I wouldn't think that 868 or 888 is more than £100-£120 ( a guess though). If you want pal-progressive scan then it is unbeatable, and Zoran always choose Nintaus first to launch their new chips and that surely means something about the quality of the brand.

Again, yes, members here probably will say that Philips, H/K and Arcam is better, but to what price? Will you see significant difference unless you use high quality component-cables, a good projector+screen or plasma? IMHO I don't think this is the case.
    And I get a very good pal-prog-picture from my 828.

if you go to http://www.zoran.com/products/poweredby/dvdplayers.asp you can see which chinese brands are using Zoran chips. As you will notice Amoisonic and Mico, and there might be other brands as Shinco, Skyworth or other ones that we don't know of, which maybe have other chips, e.g. sage/faroudja etc. But it will be very tricky to find out in China, the sales ladies (most of them are women in the sound/vision department in the department stores) won't know much.

One last thing, if you want high-end stuff, go to www.avsforum.com I remember that there were a some threads where people found this premium brand in china that has been extremely positive reported among American Chinese members.

Good luck!!!

Wasabi.

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Wasabi

I knew someone would know something:)

Just wanted to thank you for the comprehensive reply. I haven't worked through the links yet, but it looks to be just what I was after.

I think many people will tag onto these players soon. I think the N9769 has the zoren 4 I think for mpeg2 but has Faroudja DCDI for deinterlacing. It also has VGA out, HDCD, 24/192 audio DACs plays all etc etc etc. I think the digital revolution is still just getting into gear and with more and more of the circuitry being built directly into the chips, the likes of Arcam etc will do well to keep up let alone surpass in terms of sound/picture quality. Obviously when you read the threads on the Limit, it is clear that in terms of reliability and build quality, the war is yet to be won

Thanks again :smashin:

Crocodile JD

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Crocodile JD,

As you will have noticed from threads in here, the N9769, is over a year old, and also as you said it has zoran4, and it is a bit big and ugly.

There are reports on both forums with both positive and negative.
    Maybe there were too many bugs on it as it was their first pal-progressive machine really. The advantage is that it does have the Sage.Faroudja chip as well. I can't say whether the new machine has it.

Unless you need dvd-audio, 888 should be enough, but again, once you are there, you will have an enormous choice of brands and players. The best way to find out is obviously if you speak mandarin or know someone technical over there.

Don't forget to spend lots of money on dvds there. The store ones has copies for a around £1 each but are a much better bet than those found on the streets, which probably cost around 50p.

Please don't think that I am an expert like many many others here on the forum. I just want to let people know that there are Chinese products that are cheap, good, well equipped and nice too look at. Not everything is crap, also, lots of these manufacturers are oem's for Japanese brands, so whether people like it or not, China is in everyone's home.

Wasabi