Chilli Peppers 'By The Way'

simonph

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got this album for xmas and just wondered if anybody else found the recording of the first two tracks bad quality?

i found the whole album badly recorded. sounds as if the songs are recorded at two high a level and the vocals are on the verge of distorting. great album though.

I haven't got it yet, but their 'Californication' album was exactly the same, with a few of the tracks not sounding too great with the singer's voice crackling on the high notes.

How could this sort of thing get through their quality control? :confused:

weird you should mention - I have a rip of the Californication album, and this too seems distorted.

I thought I'd made a mess of the rip, but maybe there's some sort of copy protection ? :confused:

is there anywhere you can complain about this sort of thing? i checked out Warners website but there isn't a contact address.. Normally i would take it back but its such a good album!! dammit!

Originally posted by simonph
is there anywhere you can complain about this sort of thing? i checked out Warners website but there isn't a contact address.. Normally i would take it back but its such a good album!! dammit!

i find if you turn it up loud enough everything distorts, so the vocals don`t stand out anymore :)

i have this album, and there is NO distortion on any of the tracks....

chilli pepper's best album in a long time... far better than Californication and yes it times it does sound as tho the Kedis' vocals sound 'pushed' at times, but i think that's down to the production style.

Originally posted by James45
chilli pepper's best album in a long time... far better than Californication

You think so? I was really disappointed with By The Way and thought Californication was much, much better. Still, can't wait to see them live in march.

this is definately there best album,for me anyway.ive ben trying to get into them for years.my mate is daft on them,he loves it but dosnt rate it as their best.
i find it more melodic than their other albums,apart from calafornication wich i half liked.
'cant stop' playing it:D

tomson,i'm also going to see them in march at manchester,cant wait:cool:

carl

Originally posted by codling

tomson,i'm also going to see them in march at manchester,cant wait:cool:

carl

London for me. Should be good.

I take it you're a Pearl Jam fan Codling, any idea when they are touring the UK?

no,
they're not touring europe with 'riot act'.its the norm for them.
they come here every other album,so about every 4 years or so:rolleyes: :( .at a guess probably 2005.

carl

i found the whole album badly recorded. sounds as if the songs are recorded at two high a level and the vocals are on the verge of distorting

This is spot on, and it's such a shame because it spoils a superb album. There is definate distortion and not only on the vocals.

Someone was talking about Rush on here a while ago and about how their volume levels were increased through the 90's to the extent where 'Vapour Trails' is so distorted as to make it almost unlistable. The reason being to make your CD the loudest in the Juke Box.

This needs to be stopped, it is killing musical enjoyment.

'Bye the Way' is in need of a reissue with the levels sorted

No probs with the sound at all. An absolute cracker of an album.

Depends what you play it on. The levels are very close to 16 1's a lot of the time and the analogue circuitry on many systems cannot cope with the output of the DACs.

For what it's worth The guy who mastered some of the Oasis stuff was well aware of this problem and 'brickwalled' it half a dB or so below maximum.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom