1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Children Of Dune

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil43, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone have any idea whether the UK release of the 'Children Of Dune' DVD has a longer running time than the current Region One version.

Looking at some sites durations there could be about 40 minutes extra on the Region Two version. If true, this I must have. But DVD duration timings could include extra's not the feature.

If a R2 purchaser would kindly time it I would appreciate it.

- Philip

2. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, i'm not sure. What I can tell you is this. When Dune was first shown in the UK it was a longer version the the US got and when the UK dvd came out it was the longer version. In the US the first dvd release of Dune was the shorter version but then they released the longer versin later on. Maybe the same is happening again?

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    We are talking about the "Dune" miniseries and not the David Lynch movie, I presume?

The miniseries came out as a 2 disc (non-anamorphic) set on R1, then the same version came out spread over three discs (not sure if anamorphic or not) in the UK - and at more than twice the price.

Then an extended "Director's Cut", anamorphic, DTS, more extras, etc, came out as a 3 disc set in the USA. To date, this version has not appeared in the UK.

I am dying to get my hands on "Children of Dune" but I am hanging on in case this also gets the special edition treatment.

The 3 disc extended R1 version of "Dune" is available for less than £17 at DVD Soon.

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=37135

4. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Region 1 version of 'Children Of Dune' is only over 2 discs not 3.

I have heard that a 'Directors Cut' version is extreemly unlikely so this (ese) version(s) will be the only one(s).

PS. There is a Special Edition of the Lynch masterpiece arriving shortly don't know the duration of that one either. The fact that it is anamorphic was enough for me to order it.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think things are getting confused here... Phil is not asking about the David Lynch version or the recent "Dune" TV series. 'Children of Dune' is the sequel to the "Dune" TV Series which has not yet been released in the UK.

My understanding Phil was that the R2 version will be identical to the R1 version, but I can't remember where I read that so cannot be certain it is true. :(

6. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your wrong here about the UK version, i'm sure the uk version is the directors cut. I have the first US release and the running time on the UK release is much longer plus i'm sure the uk release was the version shown on the sci-fi channel which was the directors cut. In my version there are no topless shots like in the UK version.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sorry, I was refering to "Dune" not "Children".

When it was found that the original "Dune" mini-series had a fair bit of unused footage, fan speculation as to an extended version was quashed by the studio, but, surprise - next year an extended edition. It's called marketing; like I say I'm dying to get my hands on "Children" (Oops! That sounds a bit Michael Jackson doesn't it? :eek:) , but I'm going to hang on for a bit.

Looks like you could be right - I was going off a review that was bemoaning the fact that it wasn't the Special Edition the US got - looks like they may have been refering to the extras, as the run time (allowing for PAL speedup) looks about the same.

R1 3 disc set is definitely the better buy.

Here are the stats for the R1 and R2 editions of the "Dune" mini-series:

Region 1, 3 Disc Director's Cut

DVD Release Date: February 18, 2003
    Run Time: 295 minutes
    Aspect Ratio(s): Widescreen anamorphic - 1.77:1
    Available Audio Tracks: English (DTS), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
    Director's Cut

Extras:
    • Commentary by the Dune production team: John Harrison, Ernest Farino, Harry Miller, Greg Nicotero, and Tim McHugh
    • Newly remastered 16x9 widescreen version
    • Director's cut with nearly 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage
    • "Willis McNelly on Dune" featurette: author of the Dune Encyclopedia gives insightful perspective on Dune and his longtime friend Frank Herbert
    • "The Lure of Spice" featurette: a behind-the-scenes look at the production of the film
    • "The Color Wheel" featurette: Lessons of Life and Light with master cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
    • "Walking and Talking with John Harrison": exclusive interview with the writer-director of Frank Herbert's Dune
    • "Defining the Messiah" featurette: Talks with religious scholars, such as Rabbi Mordachai Finely, Elaine Pagels, Munir Shaikh, and Jungian psychologist Gabrielle Bodo
    • "Science Future/Science Fiction" featurette: Distinguished science fiction writers Harlan Ellison, Octavia Butler, and Michael Cassutt and director John Harrison discuss with award-winning inventor Ray Kurzwell the emerging technological paradigm shift and the moral issues that surround it, moderated by Arthur Cover
    • "The Cinematic Ideation of Frank Herbert's Dune": essay by Vittorio Storaro
    • Cast & crew information
    • Photo gallery including stills and sketches from the film
    • Children of Dune sneak peek pre-production gallery

Region 2, 3 disc set

Widescreen 1.85:1 Anamorphic
    Languages English - Dolby Digital (5.1)
    Run Time: 288 minutes
    Extras:
    Making Of Featurettes: 'The Filmmaker's Vision' and 'The Production Story'
    Photo Gallery
    Trailer
    7 seconds cut from the sight of a man having his neck broken in a fight sequence in the first episode.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
  9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ich wünsche :rolleyes: :(

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    One of the extras is "Dune Themenpark" - that like disney land but theamed on dune? :)

Tempting, prefer not to have german all over it though... :)

11. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Checked the duration of the Region 1 'Children Of Dune' last night and it came to 258 minutes (4hr.18m.) for the 3 parts.

As the Region 2 version does not come out until next Monday I doubt anyone will be able to give the duration for the Region 2 version yet.

There were indeed 3 different versions of the first miniseries.

12. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Region 2 is exactly 250.06 min long! so the lack of 8 min would account for the pal speed up! I got this from the bbfc website so it is reliable because as you know they have to watch everything anf they record it on thier website. So both versions are the same. R2 I would imagine will have better packaging again however R1 is about half the priceHope that helps. Plus R2 on 3 dvd's, R1 on 2 dvds.

13. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Jedi One, thought there was only one edit for Children Of Dune. Its a shame I was hoping to be wrong.

- Philip

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just heard that another version of "Children of Dune" is to be released in the USA in early 2004. No details as yet. Glad I waited!