1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Children of Dune?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Iam, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This comes out on 22/9/03 on DVD, but I don't think it's had a UK TV release yet - unless I missed it, which I might have, as a previous thread's reply reckoned Hallmark (?!) had bought the rights.

Does anyone know if it's complete crap (which might explain why I've not seen it on TV) or any good?

It looks like a follow on to the TV series of Dune that was on Sci-Fi about a year ago, & that I liked enough to get the DVD boxset of, though it does n't compare too well with David Lynch's film.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Actually I thought the TV series was seriously superior to the film. :D

I've had the Children of Dune (which also takes in Dune Messiah according to the cover) double DVD but not got round to watching it yet, they follow on from the TV series but with a cast cange or two. Someone I know who's seen it say they're not as good as Dune itself, though that may simply be a reflection of the fact that the books themselves became very hard to read and IMHO lost the plot, as it were.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I have both the scifi channel remake of dune and the children of dune series both on dvd.

In my opinion the children of dune (& dune messiah) is a lot better than the original. It obviously has a larger budget and the special effects look actually not too bad compared the the appauling effects on the dune mini-series, which are actually worse than the 1984 film!!

It's definately worth watching and i'd warrant a purchase as it doesnt seem that children of dune or dune messiah will be made into a film anytime soon!

just my two cents :)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The effects of the 1984 film were better I would agree ... pity the story sucked so badly compared to the book and it laboured under the neo-false advertising claim of "starring Sting". :rolleyes:

For me the experience of watching the 3 Sci-Fi Channel DVDs is a lot more pleasurable than suffering the 2.5 hours of the film. :D

5. mieville

mieville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Children of Dune has been shown on Hallmark a couple
    of times.

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I though it was really good and totally enjoyed it. On a par with the series before it, although effects are better.

Children of Dune is under discussion in the DVD forum, as some people are thinking about waiting before buying incase they do a Special Edition release in the future. They did this with the R1 version of Dune.

Note I'm talking about the Scr-Fi channel productions here and nowt to do with Lynch.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just been announced that another version of "Children" will be released Stateside in early 2004 - no details available as yet. Looks like it was wise to wait.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I don't remember it being that deviant?

Personally I felt the 84 film was awesome, it really conveyed the feeling of medieval barbarianism that was prevalent in the dune Universe.

I thought the mini-series was awful.