1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Children of Dune" - any cop?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Iam, May 8, 2003.

1. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a continuation of the TV series shown on Sci-Fi & on DVD last year, by the looks of it, & I'll probably end up ordering it whatever.

Question probably for US posters, but has anyone seen this/seen a review - I just noticed it's available for pre-order on Play.

2. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about the quality of it and I still haven't gotten around to watching the Sci-fi version of Dune but I believe that C of Dune is due to be shown in the UK on Hallmark in the very near future.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Looks good, but be aware; last year "Dune" was released as a 2 disc letterboxed set and then 6 months or so later we got a 3 disc director's cut, anamorphic widescreen, DTS, more extras, etc. I'll be waiting a bit in case they do the same with this...

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I didn't know there was a DTS anamorphic version out there. That's really p*ssed me off.

I got standard r2 version which I have been working myself up to watching three episoses. I've been putting it off because I usually cringe at the terrible acting when I watch it and end up turning it off.

Now I know I'll be watching an inferior version I don't think I'll be able to justify spending all thoses hours watching it.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    It's a 3 disc set and you can pick it up on DVD Soon for about £12. Some excellent extras not included on the original R1 and R2 versions, including a SF panel discussion featuring the very wonderful Harlan Ellison in full flow (and obviously censored as soon as he gets contentious, e.g. "I would suggest that religion is one of the last vestiges of barbarism..." followed by obvious cutting... Good ol' Harlan!).

6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    The 3 Disc Edition of Dune is £9.99 at MovieTyme at the moment - check the sale section.

Decided to upgrade from my 2 Disc version mainly for the added extras - that discussion panel sounds very interesting.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Crazy Horse, make sure its the R1 3 disc set and not the R2. The R2 3 disc set is exactly the same as the R1 2 disc set only spread across 3 discs. Only the R1 3 disc set is anamorphic, DTS, directors cut, extra-extras, etc.

8. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Defo the R1 3-discer.

This from MovieTyme's site...

"Product Special Features

3-Disc Set
    16X9 Enhanced Widescreen (1.85:1) Transfer
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
    English DTS 5.1 Surround
    Audio Commentary with Frank Herbert, John Harrison and William Hurt
    Nearly 30 minutes of Deleted Footage
    Science Fiction Round Table documentary with director John Harrison, Richard Dreyfuss, Salman Rushdie, George Lucas, Alex Poryas, Ursula K. LeGuin, Michael Crichton, Charles Elachi, William Gibson, and Arthur C. Clarke
    "Defining Messiah" documentary with famous religious scholars of all faiths".