1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child Proof Solutions - help needed

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by figoagogo, Apr 23, 2005.

1. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    HI

I have a JVC W/S TV on its supplied stand which includes a Tosh DVD player, Humax FreeView PVR, Samsung NTL STB and a Sony 5.1 Surround. The stand is open at the front (i.e. no glass doors).

I am looking for a quick and easy solution to stop my little 10month old lad for covering everything with his sticky fingers - but only temporary - as I want to encourage him to use these things responsibly even handling my precious DVDs etc correctly.

Is there any thing out that may help - I have tried to search google and these forums but they words I am using bring up the wrong types of WWW sites.

I am thinking along the line of an "L" shaped length of perspex that could be put underneath the equipment and supports it self???

Help :lease:

Cheers

M

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,718
    Can't remember exactly how strong a 10 month old is but how about Velcro? You can buy self adhesive discs (called coins) or strips that would allow the quick fitting & removal of a single sheet of Perspex cut to cover the whole opening. Guess you could just add more Velcro to achieve the right degree of resistance.

3. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Dream on, it'll get MUCH worse before it gets better ;)

Realistically you can't expect a toddler/infant to have the respect for possessions that you have and though there are undoubtedly some very good children in this regard, your equipment is at risk (if even from a toy winging it's way across the room accidentally - we all love to buy those heavy wooden toys don't we?).

I gave up trying to place anything I don't want in reach and to that end though I didn't like it at the time I bought a Kaxas TV hifi bench at Ikea (quite like it now) as a stop gap until training is complete (ie. when the little **** leaves for university probably..... ;) ).

4. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just about to move all of my kit up onto wall-mounted shelves - we've got a large floorstanding set of shelves at the moment with a heavy smoked glass door to it. Our 18 month old has worked out that he can open the door and then press buttons on the LD, SVHS, DVD and Sky+ boxes. :(

5. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    what shelving are you using? must be sturdy to take an amp etc.

6. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you're talking to me, I'm using a flat-pack cabinet from Ikea... Prior to that, I was using a wall-mounted cabinet from Ikea. Both have taken the 7.1 Pioneer amp (can't remember model) I'm using fine.

I'm going to build some shelves from scratch this time though - not sure how I'm going to do it yet, but there's nothing suitable out there. I need corner-mounted!

7. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I thought of doing something similar making custom sized floating glass shelves but the cost of the glass was astronomic.

8. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm most probably going to use wood as it's cheap and easy - but I am going to look into perspex too, that shouldn't cost the earth.

9. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Won't that scratch easily?

10. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably - but once it's on the wall with the kit on I won't be moving anything, so it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully!

If I was going to go the perspex route, I was thinking of cutting holes into the perspex for the feet of the components to sit in so they couldn't move. Don't know if that's a bad idea or not though. Whatever I go with, I'm thinking of cutting a series of small holes under the amp to help aid cooling slightly.

11. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    That's a good idea - the cooling - as the heat generated by the amp will draw convection currents through. Not sure I'd sink any feet though as you'd end up reducing the air movement around the base if it was sitting flat and any heat passed into the perspex is trapped in the material. Probably not that important but just in case. Bet it'll look better on feet anyway ;)

12. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't really think the feet idea through - it's bound to reduce airflow isn't it... Just thought it might look cool being able to see the feet encased in the perspex ;)

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I'm still trying to get my 6 year old daughter to treat her Top trumps responsibly :rotfl: I wouldn't let her anywhere near my dvd player :eek: She can pick the dvd she wants to watch but she knows not to open the case :nono: