Child Parking Bays

sep8001

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Why do people without children park in child bay. I understand if it is some old or disabled, but some who is young and able?

Rant over....

Why do people without children park in child bay. I understand if it is some old or disabled, but some who is young and able?

Rant over....

Because they are lazy ignorant ####s that's why.

Really gets on my wick too mate.

As a father of two this pisses me right off this one, I confront everyone I see doing it. Its amazing how many people are "just going in to pick up their partner and kid" and then stand looking dumbfounded when I ask where their child seat is.

:mad:

Thanks, just thought it was me getting wound up. Old and disabled because maybe they need to park closer so I understand.

Yes, saw it the other day and mentioned it in the annoyance thread. Woman's ticket to parking in the space was a child seat in the car, no child with her and she wasn't picking up her child.

It's sheer ignorance, plain and simple.

Sorry for going against the grain but why should you get a bigger closer parking space? Old people don't get a parking space unless they are disabled.

You have chosen to have children - it's hard I get it. Should we arrange for you to get your own fast track tills too?

I am on the other side of the coin and see a young bloke getting out of the best spot in the car park with their child and dance together into the shop. While every one else has to walk further including old people, who struggle! Should they have spaces too?

Thanks, just thought it was me getting wound up. Old and disabled because maybe they need to park closer so I understand.

If disabled, there are plenty of spaces already available, if old then park like the rest of us.

Sorry for going against the grain but why should you get a bigger closer parking space? Old people don't get a parking space unless they are disabled.

You have chosen to have children - it's hard I get it. Should we arrange for you to get your own fast track tills too?

I am on the other side of the coin and see a young bloke getting out of the best spot in the car park with their child and dance together into the shop. While every one else has to walk further including old people, who struggle! Should they have spaces too?

I'm not bothered about the spaces being 'closer' - couldn't give a rat's arse to be honest. What I care about is situations when you've got fannybaws BMW (or otherwise) driver parking right up next to the lines after you've been in the shop, what do you do? Leave your child in a trolley to reverse your car out? Also, windy days are a nightmare when you can't open your door enough to lock it, by all means put the child and parent spaces further away if it keeps folks like yourself from crying over an extra 30 step walk to the shop, the room at either side of the car is nigh-on essential however.

Tell me about the time you were on crutches for a year ...

Well for a start I couldn't drive...

dedecker1 said:
Should we arrange for you to get your own fast track tills too?

That would be positively delightful. it would save me having to stand in a queue while my 2 year old screams because he's bored, wanting to play with the stuff I'm trying to pay for, or just wants you to hurry up and get out of our way (toddler logic) :)

Supermarkets are on to a winner with parent/child parking as it encourages/rewards big spenders (I.e. families with more mouths to feed). In addition, the big spaces save us accidentally bashing your door because you haven't realised when parking next to us that we've got a child, and that little extra space makes ALL the difference. I'm mid 30s, more than physically fit, but trying to lift a toddler in through a half open door is beyond back crunching.

Enjoy your life without kids ..... I'm sure it's equally as rewarding as mine is with them :thumbsup:

Often there are too many with many remaining unused.
And the regular parking spaces are too close together to guarantee you won't gain a door dent.

I always tend to park away from the entrance anyway, so doesn't bother me one way or another. I could use the exercise. :D

That's true all spaces are too small now, we should all unite and call for larger spaces!

Simply because the normal spaces are so close together that you get a ding from the parker in the next bay who opens the company car door wide enough to bash your privately funded jalopy

I now tend to park far away in the back of the park across two bays.

Too many bashes in the past from the couldn't care less brigade

Time supermarkets allowed proper space

They aren't necessarily closer, certainly not around here, they're often tucked out of the way, with the disabled spaces being the ones that are close. It's the fact they are wider so you can open the door and lift a young child out without denting the car next to you :smashin:

Yeah, child parking bays keep 'them' away from banging their car doors into your own car and then making the excuse they have kids...good riddance if you ask me, have your own bays...I try and park as far away as possible from the menace...Seriously, why do you need them is it for exactly that reason?

We went to ASDA last week and someone in a nice Merc convertible parked in a child bay (no child, we had our daughter). So as she got out, I parked right behind her sideways, blocking her in. She was not happy. We went shopping. :)

It's a shame that the Forum MOD's get upset and issue infractions when members post what they want to say about about fellow members.:suicide:

Here's my view (being a father with three young boys)

The whole point of a "parent & child" space is so there is more space around to allow easy and safe access of a buggy from the boot or child seat for a baby or small toddler.

Any parent with children who are old enough and can walk out of their car unaided should not use a parent & child space. i.e. parents with older children / teenagers. Defeats the purpose of the extra space :rolleyes:

Parent & child spaces are not for the disabled or elderly or fat or whatever, in the same way disabled spaces (that are often as large in size and even closer to the store, should not be for anyone else)

It's a shame that the Forum MOD's get upset and issue infractions when members post what they want to say about about fellow members.:suicide:

I wondered what you meant there for a second. Then I got it :D

:thumbsup:

Any parent with children who are old enough and can walk out of their car unaided should not use a parent & child space. i.e. parents with older children / teenagers. :rolleyes:

...and should also take steps to prevent their children slamming open the car doors into the car in the next bay

In my experience it's adults who couldn't give a toss about others property that are far more guilty of this than children (unless they have been brought up by aforementioned adults :))

Seriously, why do you need them is it for exactly that reason?

Yep, exactly that reason.

Removing or placing a wriggling toddler in a car needs the door opening as wide as you can get it.

Sure it can be done with the door open just enough to lean in but it's not easy.

I don't tend to use the parent and toddler spaces because there are hardly ever any left due to fat lazy slobs parking in them but totally see the reason for them being there.

Yep, exactly that reason.

Removing or placing a wriggling toddler in a car needs the door opening as wide as you can get it.

Sure it can be done with the door open just enough to lean in but it's not easy.

I don't tend to use the parent and toddler spaces because there are hardly ever any left due to fat lazy slobs parking in them but totally see the reason for them being there.

So make all spaces that size and we can all have easy access. We shouldn't need special spaces so that people can get in and out of their vehicles easily. I've got two older kids and have experienced the problems first hand. Possibly even before the special spaces were in regular use. I see the need for them, but want all spaces larger! There would be less people in the supermarket too - a bonus!

Last edited:
My kids are 3, 5 , 7 years old, so are not old enough to be able to ensure their belts are buckles or I need to do it and my 3 year old needs help to ensure he can get out of out car - so we look out for a parent & child space if possible to park in.

As soon as they are old enough to be able to buckle themselfs and get out safety (and I can trust them not slamming the car door into the next parked car :rolleyes:) then I won't have anyneed for that extra space.

So make all spaces that size and we can all have easy access. We shouldn't need special spaces so that people can get in and out of their vehicles easily.

Why? That's just wasteful.

Spaces should be as big as they need to be and if you have kids they generally need to be bigger. It's not for my ease, it's to stop your car getting dented. :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom