Child hiding food.

Discussion in 'Parents Forum' started by Sonic67, Sep 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    Ok, what the hell is up with this? I've found mouldy pizza under the bed, mouldy sausages stuffed behind a cupboard. Is this normal? Anyone else had this?

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,551
    The obvious question has to be why? Is it because they're hungry at odd times and want to keep the food for later but then forget about it? Or do they not want to eat the food and so are hiding it rather than putting it in the bin where it might be found?

How old is the child?

3. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058

4. dms

dms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    My sister used to play games with food around that age but the dogs got it before it went mouldy.

I have known a lot of children who were given too much to eat (esp when it was eat all dinner or no sweats) who would surreptitiously throw food away (or hide it).

At 10 can't you just ask the kid? Perhaps it's heard people need to board food for Brexit (I'm not being a troll... kids often get wind of news they don't understand and react to it... oddly).

Eg My sister again heard of famine in Africa as a kid and then put for aside to send there..

I'd be most worried if it's a sign of an eating disorder but hopefully you can discount it.

5. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    I think it's because his mom made him clear his plate and as he's a fussy eater he's decided to hide what he doesn't want. Not only that I found a sheepskin rug that was wet underneath. The rug smells of ammonia and the colour has soaked into the white carpet underneath. That won't scrub out. Wasn't happy last night.

6. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,551
    I can relate to that. I was a fussy eater as a kid and whilst my mum encouraged me to eat food, I was never made to clear my plate. I didn't get the soft option of other things to eat all the time either but clearing my plate was never necessary. If I didn't eat it then I generally didn't eat.

7. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,637
    I would say this is a sign of anxiety regarding eating and needs to be treated gently but urgently. The child needs to be assured that they do not need to clear their plate, but is now old enough to understand about eating an appropriate amount of food. They will be taught about basic nutrition at school, so they will be able to relate the conversation.

Is it particular foods, or just not eating as much as you would like? Fussy eating is very common and nothing to worry about. There's kids out there who have made it to adulthood on an apparent diet of turkey twizzlers and chocolate angel delight, but somehow still seem to be thriving!!

Not sure about the rug, are you suggesting they have pee'd on it, or just spilt something they should not have been playing with?

8. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    Bit of both I think. He's picked off peppers from pizza but also left whole pieces of food.
    He said he's spilt juice. I think he peed there. He doesn't usually stay so he was in a temp bed in the living room. Usually he gets up and goes to the loo. I think he pulled the rug back, peed, placed the rug down.

Based on the rug is wet underneath. It wasn't near anything. It smells of ammonia.

Rug and carpet:

IMG-20180903-WA0001.jpeg
    No it won't come out. I think it's the dye from the rug.

Food store behind cupboard:

IMG-20180903-WA0015.jpeg

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,818
    I suspect it's quite possible that if you spill juice (which will be acidic) onto a sheepskin rug the juice will interact with residual tanning chemicals and produce something ammoniacal in smell. Doesn't mean he didn't pee on it, but I'd bear it in mind.
    Edit: It's also possible that he "had an accident" and did pee on the carpet/rug but doesn't want to admit it, rather than it being deliberate.

10. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I had one the same, but I think it was because she is not allowed food or drink in her room and she did not like to wait for her meals or treats and her eyes are bigger than her belly.
    She would sneak food to her room and was too lazy to dispose of the evidence so would hide leftovers behind, in and under furniture and behind the radiator. Easy to find in the summer, with the fruit flies!! Treats she would take the whole packet of say, muffins, eat what she could then hide the rest. This way she could deny she even knew there were any treats when asked about them. Not the brightest child at the time!!

11. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    The top of the rug is bone dry. The underside soaking. Whatever it is the rug was pulled back and then replaced. The rug is in the same place so it wasn't moved to cover something.

12. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    He may have dried the top of the rug with a towel, hair drier or it has just air dried.

Ask him, he may lie he may tell the truth, you will probably know either way. Mine always lies when caught, it's like a form of OCD for my eldest! I like to ask her questions when I already know the answer, it's become a game over the years.

13. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,637
    I'm inclined to agree with you on the peeing I'm afraid. Not sure about how you can clean that up. I guess bleaching would probably shift the die out of the carpet as well. Maybe a carpet shampoo machine, as they do get deep into the pile.

Regarding the food, I think you need to be clear that if he doesn't want something he leaves it, not hides it. He's obviously worried about getting into trouble for leaving food, but you need to monitor and discuss his eating habits.

Our oldest child has openly admitted she doesn't like eating, she finds it a chore. She eats because she knows she needs to and when she is hungry she really puts it away, but often she eats very slowly and just leaves whatever's left on her plate when the rest of us have finished. We're not too concerned, as she is now a hulking, gangly, dancing, swimming, sporty 18 year off to Uni in a few days!

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't just a fad, but don't let it become a massive issue, as that will create problems. Set some ground rules like not hiding food (Or peeing under rugs !!) and keep an eye and nose on things...

14. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    As I understand it, you'd know. I looked at the washing instructions and it pretty much says 'don't.'

At all.

My first thought was could I stick this in the washing machine. Looking on line some seem to have put them in the bath and then brushed afterwards but then others have said it isn't hair you can't brush it like hair.
    He claimed he'd spilt orange. I think that would also have stained, and again I think you'd need to pull the rug back and do it underneath. The bottom of the rug is essentially like leather. The bottom is wet, top dry.

Regardless I have a feeling the rug will end up in the bin. I'm currently trying to dry the underneath but it has a smell. I googled on ammonia smells and the favourite is down to pets. We don't have pets.

Worst is the carpet. It is stained and not coming out. I've tried fairy liquid, shampoo, and kitchen roll and an iron. Nothing is lifting it.

15. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    Oh he'll be getting an interview without coffee when I see him again.

I might get my parade ground voice out of its box.

16. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,637
    Lol. You know what works with your kids!!

17. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    As its the first time I would say don't make a big deal of any of it and let him help you clean it all up. Chat to him and ask him what he thinks might get out the smell and stain, you may get more of a clue from him if he talks without the pressure of being told off. For the smell try bicarbonate of soda.

Maybe you could put a bin in his room and bin liners and get him to empty the bin every week. Might be an idea to let him portion his own food on his dinner/tea plate so he takes as much as he wants rather than what he is given. My youngest eats like a mouse most of the time (and like a gannet occasionally) and we just let her eat as much as she wants, put the leftovers in the fridge/microwave and she will go back to it if she gets hungry later on.

If he carries on then...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  18. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,666
    I'd agree with others and be lenient this time. If he's scared and you go in all guns blazing, it's not going to help the situation. Try talking to him to understand why he did it. Be patient, understanding and don't put any blame on. At the end of the day, this could be the early signs of something worse like an eating disorder, and you need to tread carefully. The pee thing, you just need to ask him and accept what he says. At the end of the day, you can't prove it either way, but if he's having a hard time with food, or at school, or being bullied or something, he needs to know his parents are there to help and not contribute to the problem.

19. davidegee

davidegee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Sorry but I think the worst part is the behaviours and food hiding! Getting that sorted is more important than the rug or carpet (or how they got damaged), IMO

20. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,237
    Regimental bath usually brings out the best :)

21. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,666
  22. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22,058
    1. Regarding food. The hiding of food seemed to be some overhanded pressure on him to clear his plate. When he was on his own he was hiding it to show an empty plate later.

Numerous things to tackle that.

Sometimes he was in the bedroom playing fortnight and eating. Sometimes he was also that into the game he wasn't eating at all.

Now it's console off, and he eats with us always. Where possible, he feeds himself in the sense of food is on the table, he moves food from the table to his own plate. Eats from the plate. So he judges himself how much he wants. If that isn't practical it's no big deal if he doesn't eat it all and I try to judge what to give him in the first place. No snacks. Sometimes he was eating chocolate etc and then not eating properly.

2. Regarding the rug, seems he's been sleep walking. Was it some weird sleep thing? He thought he was going to the toilet? No idea.

Pull up a sandbag and swing the lamp. I did have a squaddie mate who wet the bed so often we used to think his missus had a goretex nightie.

Once he stayed at another guy's house in the spare room. Next morning the swamper up and left. The owner of the house felt the mattress as he was sure it would be outside sunbathing later. The mattress was dry. The sheets were dry. The carpet was dry. All good. Happy days.

Weeks later the guy pulled a drawer open in the room to get some stuff out for a parade. What was in the drawer was mildewed. The swamper must have got up in the night, pulled the drawer open and peed in it in a weird dream state.

Anyway, either way, the kid was sort of in the dog house enough to know it was a problem but not so much he was scared ********.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  23. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,818
    Seems like a plan. :thumbsup:

As for the rug, a sleep accident seems the most likely explanation.

24. njdbaxter

njdbaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365

Never liked my mums sandwiches for school. Once they found a box under my bed with a few months worth. Yum yum

25. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,527
    Sometimes they are hungry, sometimes they are not. Good idea to eat together...

We've never made it a big deal if they leave stuff on their plate. Hey I'm well known for not liking things when elsewhere (my wife is a wonderful chef as am I) and its ok to not eat it if you don't like it. They also go through phases in my experience. And ultimately they are human beings, they'll eat when they are hungry...

26. john79

john79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Often they are just too lazy to get up and take leftovers to the bin. Same with peeing on the carpets. If they play video games that can be the reason for that. I have seen it very often. Rule should be no eating in the bedroom.