1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child-friendly Home Theatre Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by handsy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Right, so I've taken the plunge and ordered myself a 32" LCD TV :)

I want to wall mount it, and I'm gonna use this wall mount here.

Now, to keep my kids little hands, and my shiny new LCD safe, I want to hide all the cabling behind my plasterboard wall.

I've set the scene in words, and attached a pic of the wall the LCD's going on, so here's my questions please :

1. Is that wall mount suitable, assuming that my new LCD is VESA compliant ?
    2. How in God's name do I hide the wires ? Do I cut a hole near the wall mount and feed the wires down to another hole near the skirting board ? Any links to step-by-step guides appreciated :)
    3. Do you guys have any recommendations on a neat little cabinet to store the DVD player, NTL box, PS2, and HTPC ? What have some of you done with your AV kit when you've wall mounted your screen ?
    4. What would it cost to get someone in to do it ? (any AV gurus in Southampton area going cheap ;) )

Any help, advice, tips, words of encouragement :D welcomed.

Thanks

EDIT :
    almost forgot !
    The LCD's gonna go in between those wall lights, and therefore partially above a radiator, could be that be a problem ??

Attached Files:

2. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone ??

3. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's possible the radiator could be a problem.

As far as hiding the wires go, you can either go right through the wall and drop the wires down, or 'chase' the wires down the wall. Chasing involves digging a channel in the wall, laying the cables in and then plastering over the channel.

Dropping them in internally is normally easier, but the problem is that you may have a 'noggin' in the way. If you picture a wall construction it will have upright timbers, and then there will normally be horizontal timber 'noggins' between these. One of these noggins may block you from dropping the cables down.

You also need to be careful that the wall can bear the weight of the screen. I've just recently installed a plasma, and I've used 18mm MDF to ensure that it's strong enough.

I've got my kit in a hifi cabinet with a door on the front. We bought an Ercol unit, which matches the rest of our furniture. It was enourmously expensive though. There are lots of furniture manufacturers who now build hifi cabs with doors, so just look around. At the time I bought mine there was limited choice and I wanted one that had a solid door rather than a glass one. Despite the problem this causes for remotes, I just think it looks better.

4. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What sort of problems could the radiator cause ?

I think the wall should be fine to support the screen. The screen's weight is 18kg (not too heavy), and I'll use heavy duty plasterboard wall plugs to secure the mount.

Thanks for the tips on cabinets too :)

I reckon I'll go for the drop scenario with respect to the cabling. If it hits a noggin I'll then chase the cables instead. I've seen some advice that you should put the power cable in a separate conduit to the AV cables. Is that necessary ?

5. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's possible it cause heat problems with the screen. You'll need to look at temperature tolerance of the screen, and measure the temperature where the screen will be placed. I've just put my plasma on a chimney breast so I've been doing this myself.

You're probably right - plasterboard will support much more weight than people realise.

Ikea is worth a look. I know Ducal do one, as do Ercol. It really depends on what budget you have (mine was 800 quid...in the sale! :eek: )

I
    I have done. I've seen power cables in parallel with network cables causing bad interference issues, so I don't see why it shouldn't be the same with video and audio leads.

6. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Operating temperature for my new LCD is 10-40 degrees C, so it should be fine :)

Seen some nice cabinets on Argos website believe it or not ! 50 notes for a nice beech one ;)

7. handsy

handsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just had another thought.....

..if I'm gonna wall mount, where the heck do you place the centre speaker ?? Would I wall mount that too ? ..directly under the LCD ?

8. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I've done.

9. cochese

cochese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    this look like the most appropriate place to put my query.

i'm in the process of housing my new plasma over my fireplace. i've carried out temperature tests etc. and all appears fine. the thing is i have plasterboard walls and intend to drop the cables down behind the wall. how do i go about doing this so the cables can be taken out by the side of the chimney breast rather than straight down? also, is it possible to have some sort of replaceable skirting boards that i can take off and out back on when i've run the cables over to my other equipment.

if anyone has carried out a similar project i'd really appreciate any help or suggestion.

10. morganog

morganog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my 42 pv500 wall hung with cables hidden in wall!
    My house is of timber frame construction and the plasma bracket is screwed into just one vertical stud and ia also fixed tp the plasterboard at 9 points using spring toggle type plaster board fixings!
    My tv weighs in at about 45 kg so u should have no probs with ur little lightweight tv lol.
    There used to be a radiator on that wall which i removed(i am plumber by trade)to acomadate the tv, I do have another radiator in the room so have no probs with heating.
    As for hiding cables, If your walls are stud u need to find out if u have noggings in them if not u can just cut in behind tv and cut in at bottom of wall and use a fish wire to drop the cables down.

Attached Files:

11. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I was about to suggest trying to get the centre line of the bracket in-line with a vertical timber and then you'll have no problems, just use some thwacking great srews and Bob is your mother's brother!!

12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36,927
    Don't forget you only need to chase out where there is a noggin, also you have the option of partially running cables behind the radiator.

Dave