Child Accounts (Fortnite)

cunnas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, whilst not new to Xbox I am new to setting up child accounts and need some help and advice!

I have my own account with the gamertag CullercoatsBay. Within my account I have added both my kids - both have email addresses and I have set them up with Gamertags. When I go on the Xbox, and run Fortnite whilst logged in to my kids account, it says this has age restrictions and I can add my password in to allow them access. However, when Fortnite runs, it asks me to link accounts to the Xbox...I assumed this would mean my young lad would be able to use my (his old) Fornite account so he has access to V Bucks etc but it says there is a problem linking accounts. Does this mean he will have to use his own Gamertag and essentially start again on Fortnite or is there any way he can access my CullercoatsBay account from within his child account? Think I am tying myself in knots trying to work this out when it might be simple!

Was hoping someone could help me with the above?

I am getting a little confused now!

Am I right in thinking that if I have Xbox Ultimate and have bought digital games on my account, the kids can use them when logged in on their own (family linked) gamertags?

If so, how does that work with accounts and game progress? My kid has been using my account to play fortnite, but now has his own gamertag - if he logs in as himself on the xbox, and runs fortnite, will this play under my gamertag name (as in he will have his progress and V bucks etc), or will he have to have his own seperate fortnite account under his own gamertag?

Sorry - a very late reply so probably useless.

For most games, all progress and purchases are tied to the original gamertag...so for most games your son would get a new save file and have to start over. (No access to skins and vbucks).

With Fortnite (and more games over time) they've enabled cross-play and cross save. This means that your progress and saves are ALSO tied to an EPIC account (epic make fortnite).

There *might* be a way that you can unlink the EPIC account from YOUR xbox account/gamertag and then re-link the EPIC account to your sons xbox account. If that EPIC account has card details attached to it then it does mean your son could purchase vbucks whenever he wants so beware!

Before you disconnect accounts MAKE SURE you can access your EPIC account direct on their web pages. You'll be able to login in using your xbox details (weirdly) but you should make sure you have a password enabled direct with EPIC.

This shows an example of how to disconnect accounts:-

So:-

1. Make sure you can access your EPIC account directly (without using your xbox details)
2. Disconnect the EPIC Account from YOUR xbox account
3. Log in to your sons xbox account
4. Connect you sons xbox account to the EPIC account

This should give your son access to the skins and vbucks on that EPIC account.

If you get stuck with other questions I'd recommend the Xbox subreddit - tons of gamers there all the time and they're happy to help out with this kid of stuff. I think avforums is a bit quieter/slower for gaming stuff.

Cheers, sorted now but appreciate the late reply

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom