Chicago

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this a couple of days ago, before anyone dismisses it - it got a fantastic DTS soundtrack, a not bad picture - and loads of women running around in thier knickers, so if the missus wants to watch it, you can have a drink and fall into a coma - so when she looks at you and asks what the big grin is for - you can tell her that you've found a new love of musicals (yeah right!!!!).

Seriously, its not bad but how it won the oscar for best picture is beyond me.

Gary

Is the region 1 DTS ? i was thinkin of buying this but would love a DTS track and i'm not too keen on PAL versions anymore because of the 4% speedup which i personally believe affects sound quality.

no sorry, it was the R2 copy.

Gary

Watched this DVD for the first time last night. I was hoping it might compare to Moulin Rouge..it didn't. I had hoped that KZJ would be worth her supporting actress Oscar..she wasn't. I had hoped that the film would be worth its best film Oscar..it wasn't.

This film had the thinnest storyline. The music was dull, with the exception of the 'I didn't do it' routine.

It's such a pity that the Oscars are so obviously 'political'.

I agree this film was very average to have won an Oscar, there was no real substance it just went for entertainment and was good for what it is but no more than that.

I also found the DTS track disappointing as it was either so good or badly mixed that the lead vocalists CZJ, RZ or RG were obviously not singing very well, the quality exposing their mediocrity or simply bad mixing on the centre channel, did anyone else notice this - maybe too much was compressed onto a single disk I'd be interested to know the bitrate of the DTS track.

G Torq

I'd suggest that people see the stage show aswell - I think the film did a really great job of re-creating it.

Of course the style of music won't be to everyones taste, but if you like jazz then you won't be disappointed.

btw - I haven't received my dvd yet - just based on seeing it in Leicester sq when it came out..

I thought it was a great film :blush:

Rob

I love musicals...I really do (i have/wife has moulin rouge, funny face, beauty and the beast, cabaret) but I couldn't get into this movie.

It has a good dts sound track, nice visuals and skimpy clothing granted but it also felt souless...in fact i was bored and so was my wife...

still, I thought dare devil and equalibrium was great so I probably can't be trusted....

CaM

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
Is the region 1 DTS

Yes it is. Got it yesterday - still love it!

You just can't beat watching Richard Gere tap dancing.

Originally posted by Gordon @ Convergent AV
I loved it at cinema and on DVD. Chapter 5 and final one are my fave's.....

Gordno

I agree about chapter 5, it was that sequence that gave me hope. Unfortunately it never reached those heights agin for me.

Well the songs were crap, looked tacked on to the plot and seemed to stop and start at random intervals. They never really advanced the plot or said what the characters wanted to say and they were musically uninteresting.

All of the characters were completely unlikeable too.

It won an Oscar because it's a big money film with big money actors in it. That and pure media hype.

If you want to see how a musical film/tv is done properly take a look at Moulin Rouge, Little Shop Of Horrors or Buffy: Once More With Feeling - They have brilliant songs (musically and lyrically) and characters you like and care about.

The only decent thing was Catherine Zeta Jones. She has an excellent singing voice (no doubt from her short pop career) and acted her dancing parts well.

Originally posted by The Bear

The only decent thing was Catherine Zeta Jones. She has an excellent singing voice (no doubt from her short pop career) and acted her dancing parts well.

Didn’t she sing on Jeff Wayne’s version of Spartacus.

Region 3 (dts) only £7.99 at cd wow

Watched this recently. I'm a big fan of musicals and Bob Fosse's work, and this was the first time I've seen anything with his name on it that left me cold.

I felt there was something decent struggling to get out and a better director was needed to realise it (Had exactly the same feeling about "Pirates of the Carribean").

Wanna see how it should have been done? Buy Fosse's "All That Jazz", only £5.99 on R2. A stunner of a movie. One can only wonder what he would have done with "Chicago" had he lived to direct the movie...

I bought the region 1 version and i loved it, it reminded me a little of Grease (( don't ask me why )) it was just a pleasant change to see a musical as they just don't make em for film anymore.

Saw it on R2 DVD tonight

Picture quality: crap
Songs: boring
Richards singing: dreadful
Catherine: wide
René: no breasts
Characters: who cares?
Clever: yes
Moulan Rouge: Not within a million miles

But then that's just me :)

Conor:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums