Chicago Blu Ray disk grainy on PS3

wazzerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had my 40GB PS3 for a few weeks now and very impressed with its versatility and quality. Bought Chicago on Blu Ray (one of the wife's favourite films) to get the best out of the film and am rather disappointed. The extra detail is there over the DVD, but the digital noise is awful so the whole picture lacks sharpness. It's not the cable or HDMI port on my Panny LCD as i've used three different ports on the LCD, three different HDMI cables (two are good quality 1m IXOS cables) and I have no issues with other Blu Ray films (Pirates of the Carribean 1,2 3) whose quality is stunning.

I have yet to try the AV multi-out port on the PS3 to see if the noise is still there, so will try that on the weekend.

Anyone had a similar issue with the same disk or encountered similar issues with others. Be interested to know if playing Chicago through a non-PS3 blu-ray player has the same issues.

Cheers.

I got this for Christmas, and I have a PS3, so I'll let you know.

Steve W

Much appreciated. :) I calibrated my LCD months ago but did leave a colour balancing or similar setting turned on. I'm going to turn this off as well to ensure the images aren't negatively affected by extra processing, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on the quality of your Chicago Blu Ray.

Turned off colour management on my LCD but no change to the grainy, speckly images of Chicago. As a further test, connected up my PS3 to my Viewsonic 19" HD Ready LCD and re-tested (albeit at 1080i). Graininess still evident so its not my Panny LCD being the issue. Its now either the PS3 or the Chicago Blu Ray disk itself. Will try the AV Multi-out next, once I've fished the cables out of the loft when I get back from work tonight.

I looked at my old CRT TV last night which I'd given to my mum, and that confirmed I do get a great picture from my LCD, so is there an issue with the PS3 or the disk?

The question is, am I expecting too much from High Def by expecting it to be perfect?

After the dough I've spashed out in the last six months (£780 for the LCD, £300 for the PS3, £50 on cable, and £250 on SKY HD being installed next week) I expect excellent quality.:(

(Please don't get me started on the lip-sync issues as well :mad:)

Anyone else been let down so far with their expectations of HD?

It is perfect as far as the producer is concerned - you're seeing the grain as he / she intended.

If you want a "clean" image (which I expect you do) to show off blu-ray, get ice age 2 or Blade Runner...the're awesome transfers.

It is perfect as far as the producer is concerned - you're seeing the grain as he / she intended.

If you want a "clean" image (which I expect you do) to show off blu-ray, get ice age 2 or Blade Runner...the're awesome transfers.

Thanks. Can't believe the producer would want it to look like that myself, but hey, I'm not a producer. The images look really sharp if you could look beyond the noise. Comforting to know that its not particularly an issue with my set up, just a blooming awful swirly mess as intended then! I'd hate to watch it on a screen bigger than 32".

I'll look at getting a better showcase film to show the kit off (and put my mind (and wallet!) at rest.)

Cheers,

Wazzer

I rented 300 on blu ray and watched it last night when i noticed this grainy effect you mention, i thought it was just me at first as i had read into LCD so much before purchasing i was intently studying the picture quality rather than watching the film at times! I am using a v3000 and PS3 through HDMI, it would be nice if this is specific to certain films will have to find out. Really dont know why a producer would want this kind of look tho, will have to get ice age to test, suppose the missus will be happier with the film choice!!

I rented 300 on blu ray and watched it last night when i noticed this grainy effect you mention, i thought it was just me at first as i had read into LCD so much before purchasing i was intently studying the picture quality rather than watching the film at times! I am using a v3000 and PS3 through HDMI, it would be nice if this is specific to certain films will have to find out. Really dont know why a producer would want this kind of look tho, will have to get ice age to test, suppose the missus will be happier with the film choice!!

I went through the same thing last night watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Picture was superb (no graininess of note) but I did notice some ever so slight juddering of background objects even though I'm taking a 1080P/ 24FPS feed from the PS3 to my LXD700 which is downscaling it to fit 768 lines. Found I was looking for this rather than watching the film! No other family member commented on it. I've ordered Kingdom of Heaven which is supposed to be a great transfer, but Ice Age 2 is probably the one to go for at the moment for picture quality. Will order that next pay day.:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom