• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Chestnuts roasting on a New York side walk

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
Having just got back from New York and buying a new camera (olympus OM-D) what was the first thing I did? head over to the photo competition thread!

Being in NYC what better place to take a photo of food? I took loads and not just of food.

I took this one on a whim and it must have taken me about 20 seconds to decide to take it and move on. Wasn't until I reviewed the photo's later did I think 'yeah I like this photo'

So here it is. I'm still a newbie to all this and if the photo doesn't have all the time stamps et al let me know.
To my eyes it does look better on my ipad and the camera rather than the laptop but I guess that will be down to the screen calibration?

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
Chestnuts roasting on a New York side walk

Attachments

• 592.JPG
    592.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 112

shotokan101

Banned
This is so close to being a great shot - I really quite like it - bit hard to spot what the focal point was amongst the nuts is a little offputing for me and I think that I'd have popped the contrast and clarity a little and maybe applied a bit of sharpening but still a very nice shot :cool:

Jim

Marika

Prominent Member
Took me a little to actually figure it out, but yeah, I like it. Maybe just a little touch "in your face", but I can live with that.

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
This is so close to being a great shot - I really quite like it - bit hard to spot what the focal point was amongst the nuts is a little offputing for me and I think that I'd have popped the contrast and clarity a little and maybe applied a bit of sharpening but still a very nice shot :cool:

Jim
Not to big myself up but you are right (in my eyes anyway), it is close to being a great shot. Also having looked at it again with your comments I can now see what you mean. All the nuts are the focal point and not one particular one or part......but saying that even the coat in the background compliments the foreground.

As for lighting/contrast it had a ruddy great light above it to keep them warm. Sometimes I think that helped the shot and others I think it hindered it.

So close yet so far ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom