Quantcast

Chess Ultra

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Chess Ultra

This is just £3 in the sale and I have to say if you like Chess or want to learn to play chess than this is a must for its current price.

In non VR mode, its a pretty great fully featured 2D Chess game in its own right for both masters and beginners as it has a pretty good tutorial covering not just the rules and moves but also a whole series of strategies too. Although I played chess, I learnt quite a lot of new tips.

But of course it's all about the VR mode (for us!) and it rocks...for one particular environment. There are four environments and they're are all cool but only one environment has you playing against a visual VR character...but what a choice of character and environment...its none other than the Grim Reaper himself in what looks to be a volcanic hellish environment. And boy is he intimidating. The atmospheric surroundings makes me shudder, and then at critical moments of a match with him, he terrified me! A relaxing game of chess, this is not!

It's a pity that there are no other visual VR opponents to play against in the other environments but I suppose the Grim Reaper is hard to match.

The game uses Move Controllers which serve as your VR hands as you move your chess pieces, although when you do place your pieces, they snap to position. I kinda wish it didnt do that just for more realism but it's understandable as its probably needed to allow leeway in the Moves tracking.

It's a pretty great chess package with lots of chess scenario challenges and strategy tutorials. Playable in VR or 2D. I say get this before the sale ends in a couple of days.

8.5/10

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
This game is back on sale for three quid and I just want to give it a shout out for the reasons I gave in my post above back in January. Even if you haven't played chess before but want to learn it, this game has a fantastic tutorial.

The devs don't promote the Grim Reaper opponent in their adverts which I find very strange but I'm telling ya, playing the Grim Reaper in VR is flipping terrifying!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
And I’ve still not even booted it up since buying it in January :rotfl:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
And I’ve still not even booted it up since buying it in January :rotfl:
Oh man if your games were physical, you can open a store with more sealed unopened games than a HMV store!

Go on, have a little go at playing the Reaper (choose the volcanic environment) :)