Cherry (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas. I will definitely check this out tonight. Great that it's on ATV+ and can hopefully benefit from its best in class bitrates too!

Cheers Cas. I nearly watched Cherry this morning in place of my MCU fix (which will be back next week...). I wasn't quite in the mood for the grim subject matter so decided to go for Zoom horror Host instead. Proved to be very relaxing...😬😬😬

Thanks Cas will have a look saturday night :thumbsup:

Thanks Cas, that’s this evenings movie sorted, been looking forward to this 👍🏼

I think I might need to sign up to Apple for a month. Another one to check out....

Heard very mixed things about this one, but I’ll definitely be checking it out this weekend.

Caught this last night and prepared myself for the half marathon.
I'm not really ever sure of films that choose to segment them; as it either sets it up for claims of being a grandiose/road mapping dick move or, for possibly screwing itself by viewers rating the parts and being led away from the overall effect. Narration and wall breaking also carry risks.
In any case, I really liked this. Yes, there's nothing new but sometimes it's a good thing, especially when the film is better than many that went before. The parts all fit nicely, are written well and. moreover, acted convincingly by Tom Holland. It's hard to imagine it not being played by, or indeed, having been written with him in mind. Both his somewhat slight physicality and personable air of character slide into the outcomes so well.
I don't mind a lengthy film and often welcome them due to the time for growth of journey. Cherry doesn't let you down here, as it draws you nicely in from the mundane and onto various horrors that life's mis/choices can lead to.
My main possible gripe, however, would be
that end. If she'd disappeared as an hallucination all the better. But then you can always twist it as viewer's choice.

8 is only a Recommended this time? Not a fan of the Wechsler scale then.

Thanks for the review ,.Cas.

5/10 for me. Well made and acted, but I found it kind of pointless.

Well there’s a lot to unpack here, first of all though I’d like to say thank god for the Russo’s and Newton Thomas Sigel, it feels like a year since I’ve watched something new that actually looks cinematic (excluding the overblown Tenet of course) and not just slightly better than a TV movie (yes netflix I’m pointing my condescending finger at you) every frame, every pan, every tracking shot has clearly been considered. The scale changes throughout, depending of the beats of the story. The colours and the lighting all beautifully placed. It’s wondrous.
Henry Jackman on score duty does absolutely his best work to date here, encompassing, stirring themes matching the film’s jittery twitches.
Tom Holland is fast becoming more than just the blockbuster guy, after the also excellent The Devil All The Time, here the whole piece hinges on him, without him it falls apart. He’s in virtually every scene (if not every scene) and he completely holds the film together.
Everyone else is extremely capable, if a little under drawn, almost as if there’s just so much Holland there’s not much room for anyone else.
It’s a long film, the chapters and tonal changes I think doesn’t necessarily help this, although it wasn’t an issue for me personally. I wouldn’t say it felt wholly original, it’s influences are clear, Rules Of Attraction, Full Metal Jacket, Requiem For A Dream all sprang to mind. Again, I like all those films so there’s no complaints from me.
The film has taken a bit of a kicking from critics and I’m not entirely sure why, course, it’s mostly depressing and overly exuberant perhaps, but The Russo’s could easily of carried on just making Avengers films (yes this is me digging out James Cameron and the 23 Avatar sequels nobody asked for) but they’ve taken a big swing here and for me they’ve mostly hit the target.
Would’ve loved to have seen this on the big screen.
Great review @Casimir Harlow btw
8.5/10

Last edited:
Watched Cherry this afternoon on Apple+, first thing in ages on my free trial. Very dark and depressing but absolutely riveting viewing, Tom Holland really hits it out of the park with his portrayal of a young man whose life goes from joining the army and the realities of your homecoming. He really nailed the essence of a junkie incredibly well, or at the very least what I think one is in my mind.

Not one I would have watched in the trailer alone but glad I did, enjoyed this immensely. Looks gorgeous in Dolby Vision and form the direction given by the Russo Bros.

I get a mixture of the Coen brothers mixed with a bit of the Wachowskis. Cracking Atmos mix.

Just to add Martin Scorsese vibes. Oh, and Stanley Kubrik influences to boot. Sam Mendes(Jarhead) anyone?

Last edited:
Quite enjoyed it even tho the mood is dark and wacky sometimes... Holland plays the part very well, don't let the duration put you off. The drill sergeants had me in stitches...

Awesome soundtrack mix and moves at a good pace too, 9/10 because there is nothing else decent out there that rivals this, well not this week at least.

Yeap, still thinking about those drill sergeants! :D :D

Not a bad film by any stretch, but took me three sittings to get through. Everyone in it is great. The writing is good. The boot camp section is by far the most entertaining, but I'm sorry to say I just found the rest to be cripplingly boring.

Thanks for the review Cas, trailer was so so, glad your review steered me towards this.

Watched this over 2 nights (disgraceful but there we go).
So after the first half I thought this was decent, well made, wasn’t sure how it was going to pan out, trailer didn’t give too much away but was slightly better than I expected.

So part 2 tonight ... wow, how their lives turned a corner. Performances, directing, cinematography, DV, all top notch.

Agree with @barnaby jones, the score, especially the prologue was fantastic, beautifully haunting and worked so well with the slow pan through those years.

8.5/10

Just looking at some of the reviews, it really did get a kicking ...guardian gave it 1 star, absolute nonsense ...

Just looking at some of the reviews, it really did get a kicking ...guardian gave it 1 star, absolute nonsense ...
100%.
U could not like a thing about it and still not give it 1star review for Holland alone, objectively it’s a very good performance, regardless of everything else.

Well, the guardian read AVF, their review is now 3/5 :) must have been a glitch this evening :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom