Chernobyl

Read in the paper today that some Welsh farmers still have to test their livestock for radiation every day :eek:

Read in the paper today that some Welsh farmers still have to test their livestock for radiation every day :eek:

Thats just their excuse for the velcro gloves....

Some good (well..not good, you know what I mean) Would've preferred more pictures actually to do with the area though. Off to google though..
Facinating stuff..

Think I read in one of the many books on this subject that the concrete 'asophogas' was only meant to be a temporary measure and last the maximum of 10years! THATS 15years overdue then!.
I do believe that western eu countries were supposed to be funding a better housing for the reactor, this hasn't come to light as yet!.

(ahem) You meant Esophagus but you didn't, you meant Sarcophagus where 'ophagus' probaby means 'things inside things' or some such :)

Last edited:
Was looking at some of the images of Chernobyl the other day, some of the people and animals that were born in the area after the incident have horrifying deformities.

The dog and horse picture, :(

i have a friend who's been out there a couple of times to take photos, you have to get dosed up on anti-rad meds and stuff before you go..

imightbewrong said:
(ahem) You meant Esophagus but you didn't, you meant Sarcophagus where 'ophagus' probaby means 'things inside things' or some such :)

Yeah that's it! Oops

Thanks for sharing this!

Anyone know any other good sites, I'm quite interested in things like this

I read up on Chernobyl on wiki and watched some You Tube videos and had a look at Google Maps. As a fan of the Stalker PC games too, I was interested to learn a bit of history about the places. There are still tours going on for Pripyat although they advise to keep on the concrete areas and paths only as the green lush areas and moss are dangerously high in radiation :eek:

Cheers Kav :)

EDIT: Wow..
One place that I really want to visit before I die

Last edited:
Aye it's a good read through that one kav,

There's a good few old documentaries on it that are worth a watch, think some are on YouTube now

BBC's Cooking in the Danger Zone went there a while ago. Not on Iplayer, but probably on Youtube

Very good link Kav - thanks. Makes one very thoughtful.

The contrast of healthy-looking vegetation, trees, plants and a few wild animals...

... And no people.

I find it strange they have no idea how many people died from radiation - take your pick of any figure up to 400,000 dead. Sends shivers down my spine.

Some of those pics remind me of COD Modern Warfare, almost like the game was modelled on the site? The barren city, the view from the top of the building, the abandoned ferris wheel.

Creepy stuff, very interesting site and overwhelmingly sad thinking about the mass loss of life. Can't imagine what life is like for the 400 that still live there!

its saddens me how little attention chernobyl gets, we pay our respects to those who fought and died in the world wars but the ordinary people who stopped the radiation reaching the pripyat river which supplies drinking water to most of europe go unmentioned. they knew their fate before they went in and what they did potentially saved millions of lives, if thats not worth two minutes silence i dont know what is.

Some of those pics remind me of COD Modern Warfare, almost like the game was modelled on the site? The barren city, the view from the top of the building, the abandoned ferris wheel.

Creepy stuff, very interesting site and overwhelmingly sad thinking about the mass loss of life. Can't imagine what life is like for the 400 that still live there!

Yep, look at the intro to COD4: "Fifty thousand people used to live here...now it's a ghost town."

There are a few missions (or sections of missions) based in and around Pripyat, including at that ferris wheel and in the tall building where you have to attempt to assassinate the bad guy. The setting for one of the greatest missions in the history of gaming - All Ghillied Up.

There are a few missions (or sections of missions) based in and around Pripyat, including at that ferris wheel and in the tall building where you have to attempt to assassinate the bad guy. The setting for one of the greatest missions in the history of gaming - All Ghillied Up.

couldnt agree more, an amazing pair of missions inc your subsequent escape and holding them off by sniper at the ferris wheel, as tense as it gets....:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom