• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Chernobyl (HBO)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
CHERNOBYL dramatizes the true story of one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history, and tells of the brave men and women who sacrificed to save Europe from unimaginable disaster.

Jared Harris
will play Valery Legasov, the Soviet scientist chosen by the Kremlin to investigate the accident.

The five-part HBO miniseries CHERNOBYL, to be produced by Sister Pictures and The Mighty Mint as an HBO/Sky Television co-production, will begin filming next year, it was announced today by Kary Antholis, president, HBO Miniseries and CINEMAX Programming.
Written by Craig Mazin (“The Huntsman: Winter’s War”) and directed by Johan Renck (“Breaking Bad,” “The Walking Dead”), CHERNOBYL will be executive produced by Carolyn Strauss (two-time Emmy® winner and PGA winner for HBO’s “Game of Thrones”; HBO’s “Treme”), Jane Featherstone (“Broadchurch,” “Flowers”) and Craig Mazin, and co-executive produced by Chris Fry (“Humans”) and Johan Renck.

“From the moment Craig Mazin pitched us the story, we were convinced that this all-too-true tale of horror and redemption needed to be told,” said Antholis. “It will engage — and enrage — our viewers, as well as audiences around the world.”

The miniseries is a tale of lies and cowardice, of courage and conviction, of human failure and human nobility. The miniseries focuses on the heartbreaking scope of the nuclear plant disaster that occurred in Ukraine in April 1986, revealing how and why it happened, and telling the shocking, remarkable stories of the heroes who fought and fell.

Based on powerful real-life events, CHERNOBYL will be the first production of the drama partnership between HBO and Sky.

Jared Harris recently starred in “The Crown” and received an Emmy® nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for “Mad Men.” His film credits include “Allied,” “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” and “Lincoln,” among others.

Filming will begin in Lithuania in spring 2018.

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Stellan Skarsgård & Emily Watson To Star In Sky Atlantic's 'Chernobyl' - TVWise
Skarsgård will play Boris Shcherbina, head of the Bureau for Fuel and Energy of the USSR, and appointed leader of the government commission on Chernobyl in the early hours of the accident; while Watson will star as Ulana Khomyuk, a Soviet nuclear physicist committed to solving the scientific mystery of what led to the disaster at Chernobyl, so that it can be prevented from ever happening again.

mafaa

Distinguished Member
‘Chernobyl’: Paul Ritter, Jessie Buckley, Adrian Rawlins & Con O’Neil Among Cast Additions For HBO/Sky Miniseries
Paul Ritter (Electric Dreams, No Offence), Jessie Buckley (Taboo, Country Music), Adrian Rawlins (Darkest Hour, War and Peace) and Con O’Neill (Happy Valley, Telstar) have joined HBO’s miniseries Chernobyl, a co-production between HBO and Sky. They join previously announced Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård and Emily Watson.

Also joining the large-scale production are Sam Troughton (The Ritual, The Hollow Crown), Adam Nagaitis (The Terror, To Walk Invisible), Ralph Ineson(Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Absentia), Mark Lewis Jones (Apostle, Star Wars Episode VIII), Fares Fares (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, HBO’s Westworld) and David Densik (McMafia, Top of the Lake: China Girl).

Cast also includes Robert Emms, Jay Simpson, Gerard Kearns, Michael Socha, Jamie Sives, Kieran O’Brien, Karl Davies, Billy Postlethwaite, Alex Ferns and James Cosmo.

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Chernobyl: first-look images releases for Sky and HBO co-production starring Jared Harris - Entertainment Focus

CHERNOBYL-Jared-Harris-as-Valery-Legasov-photo-credit-Liam-Daniel-Sky-and-HBO.jpg

Jared Harris (The Crown) portrays Valery Legasov, a leading Soviet nuclear physicist. As part of the response team, he is one of the first to grasp the scope of the unparalleled disaster that has occurred.

CHERNOBYL-Stellan-Skarsgard-as-Boris-Shcherbina-photo-credit-Liam-Daniel-Sky-and-HBO.jpg

Stellan Skarsgård (Melancholia) plays Soviet Deputy Prime Minister Boris Shcherbina, who is assigned by the Kremlin to lead the government commission on Chernobyl in the hours immediately following the accident.

CHERNOBYL-Emily-Watson-as-Ulana-Khomyuk-photo-credit-Liam-Daniel-Sky-and-HBO.jpg

Emily Watson (Hilary and Jackie) portrays Ulana Khomyuk, a Soviet nuclear physicist committed to solving the mystery of what led to the Chernobyl disaster.

CHERNOBYL-Jessie-Buckley-as-Lyudmilla-Ignatenko-photo-credit-Liam-Daniel-Sky-and-HBO.jpg

Jessie Buckley (Beast) plays Lyudmilla Ignatenko, the young wife of Vasily, a firefighter who suffers from exposure to radiation at Chernobyl. More than anyone, Lyudmilla is the human face of the tragedy of Chernobyl, enduring unimaginable pain and loss.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Be interested in this, been fascinated by the actual event. My dad works in nuclear energy and I’ve spent time on a few nuclear stations in the uk. Some of the documentaries are fascinating, the aftermath and how it was dealt with is mind boggling at times

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
When I worked at Bridlington fire station we used to have the chernobyl children from Belarus visit every year for three years. They were aged around 7-12 years old and many weren't expected to get far into their teens. Very sad and humbling. I won't get to see this as I don't have sky but am interested in the views of those who able to watch it..

mjn

Distinguished Member
Could be interested.

Sonic67

Banned
Anyone watched it?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Just watched the trailer........Ah, the old speaking English but with a thick Russian accent. Yup, i’m sure that is how it was.

mazon27091

I guess they are trying to appeal to a wider audience. A lot of people can't be bothered to read the subtitles or they can't read (16% of adults are functionally illiterate in the UK!) Not everyone is in the same boat as us on the forum.

Andy58

The BBC has a 5* review by Will Gompertz which appears full of praise but seemed to be heading into a blow by blow account of the whole thing. I'm looking forward to watching it, so I'll try and avoid spoilers and make my own mind up.
Honestly BBC....you had one job.

RiceRocket

Think it's a one-off but the first episode is also being shown Tuesday morning at 2am on Sky Atlantic

gibbsy

I guess they are trying to appeal to a wider audience. A lot of people can't be bothered to read the subtitles or they can't read (16% of adults are functionally illiterate in the UK!) Not everyone is in the same boat as us on the forum.
To become a member of AVF you have to know someone that can read. To become a moderator you have to know someone that can read and write.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom