• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Cheque or BACS?

nheather

Distinguished Member
I'm in the middle of completing my Sony VAT Back application form and have reached the part asking whether I want the refund to be paid by cheque or BACS.

My immediate thought is BACS because I try to do electronic banking wherever possible, but when looking at the form it occured to me that I would mean sending, by post, the following information to Sony

Name
Address
Telephone
eMail
Date of Birth
Bank Account Name
Bank Account Number
Sort Code
Signature

Made me stop and think that this is pretty much a complete identity.

But on the other hand, it is typical of the information that I have provided for Direct Debits, purchases and credit agreements.

What do you think? Should I opt for cheque instead?

Cheers,

Nigel

FZR400RRSP

Banned
When I got cashback from Sony, I went for the BACS option.
I have no desire to ever physically visit a bank again, so cheque was out.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
When I got cashback from Sony, I went for the BACS option.
I have no desire to ever physically visit a bank again, so cheque was out.

dont have to.

Just fill out your paying in book, pop it in an envolope and put it through the bank's letter box.

they pay it in, sent the paying in book back to you. hey-presto!

Mr. Fred

As long as your data isn't intercepted in the post you're pretty safe sending details to a big multinational like Sony.

I always go BACS for convenience.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
dont have to.
Just fill out your paying in book, pop it in an envolope and put it through the bank's letter box.
they pay it in, sent the paying in book back to you. hey-presto!

Presumably, I would have to go to the bank to get a pay-in book?
And even if I had a pay-in book (whatever that is), depositing the cheque in their letterbox would still require me to drive to one?
To pass a bank, I have to make a special journey.
I don't ever pass one in the course of a normal day.

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
As long as your data isn't intercepted in the post you're pretty safe sending details to a big multinational like Sony.

I guess that is the nub of my concern.

The return address is 'Get the VAT back with Sony' so anyone in the postal loop with a bit of nouse will know what information is inside.

Also the return address isn't Sony but a PO Box. I don't know about this scheme, but often the handling of ones like this are sub-contracted out to a third party. The address is in Diss, Norfolk and I'd put money on that not being a Sony office.

I would prefer to do BACS but I'm edging towards cheque on this one.

Besides you have to send off your original receipt and guarantee which have to come back in the post.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Stu V

They recommend sending by registered post if that gives you anymore piece of mind.

You would have thought that a company like Sony would have allowed you to fill this out online.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Presumably, I would have to go to the bank to get a pay-in book?
And even if I had a pay-in book (whatever that is), depositing the cheque in their letterbox would still require me to drive to one?
To pass a bank, I have to make a special journey.
I don't ever pass one in the course of a normal day.

Wow - do you have the only bank in the world that you can't post cheques to ? :p

Our bank doesn't even have physical branches, let alone drop boxes, and yet by some magic-like technology we still manage to pay in cheques.

Not as easy as someone BACSing you, I agree :)

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Wow - do you have the only bank in the world that you can't post cheques to ?

So I'd have to wait for the cheque in the post from Sony.
Then, assuming I have this pay-in book, I'd post the cheque to the bank.
Then I'd have to wait for it to clear.

Good god, be lucky if I got the money before xmas!

qwerty321

Distinguished Member

Some companies can be pretty speedy in getting cheques sorted out.

Sent a phone to Mazuma mobile a while back. Requested a postage bag on a Wednesday, 8 days later, cheque had cleared in my bank.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

I'm just saying if you get a cheque you don't need to throw it away :)

If you have a cheque book, then you have paying-in slips in it, although you don't even need them.

alpine101

All a BACS transfer actually requires is the account name, sort code and account number. The rest are probably for marketing purposes so can be filled in with anything you choose.

nheather

Distinguished Member
All a BACS transfer actually requires is the account name, sort code and account number.

I know, but because the BACS information is just part of the application form for the VAT Back when you look at the total it is what I stated in my first post.

Hence, my lack of comfort.

Cheers,

Nigel

Stu V

Someone can still open the envelope

Very true, but at least you would know where to point the finger(assuming the letter stays within RM)

The form also contains name, address, dob & signature which may be enough to someone to use without bank details, pass on that one as I don't do ID theft.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
you dont need a paying in book to post a cheque in your banks letterbox, just write your name, acct number and sort code on the back of the cheque and the phrase 'please pay in to these details'. Oh and put your phone number on as well (obviously you put the cheque in an envelope with the request on it as well).

Although that might only work for actual bank accounts, if you have a building society account or other similar non-DD capable account, then you probably need to use a paying in slip/book....not sure, havnt touched my old abbey savings account for about 9 years...lol

Jamie

Distinguished Member
All a BACS transfer actually requires is the account name, sort code and account number. The rest are probably for marketing purposes so can be filled in with anything you choose.

Actually you don't even need a name, just the account number and sortcode.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Going off on a tangent away from the OP,
Actually you don't even need a name, just the account number and sortcode.
On the question of people perpetrating fraud, if you walk into a bank to make a direct transfer a cashier will point out any discrepancies in the recipient name you have filled out versus what they can see on their computer monitor. In contrast in the world of online banking, one can happily give out "Mickey Mouse" as their name and the payment would go through

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom