Cheesy 1950's Sci Fi movies

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MrBlofeldt, Oct 1, 2004.

1. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I'm an avid collector of old 1950's/early 1960's Sci-Fi movies, e.g Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth etc (these are two of which I do not yet possess on DVD), however, I'm having trouble tracking down certain films on Region2, the two mentioned above are prime examples ( I am unsure as to whether or not these have been released on R2), there are a few other movies that seem to be un-available, can anyone clue me in on availability/release dates on region2 (or indeed, any information at all...!) preferably for the following movies...?

Forbidden Planet (1956) Directed by Fred Wilcox, starring Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis, Walter Pidgeon.

This Island Earth (1955) Directed by Joseph Newman, starring Jeff Morrow, Faith Domergue, Rex Reason.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) Directed by Byron Haskin, starring Paul Mantee, Victor Lundin, Adam West.

Thanks in advance...!

MrB :lease:

2. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Forbidden Planet is certainly available - my copy happens to be region 1 but I've seen the region 2 version in HMV. I also read somewhere that it's being re-released (a special edition?) soon. As for the others, I'm afraid I'm still waiting on This Island Earth myself - also Incredible Shrinking Man too..............

3. cazzasguy

cazzasguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robinson Crusoe on Mars, a criminally underrated classic, has never appeared on DVD to the best of my knowledge and despite scouring every website known to man for the last few years, have not heard of an imminent release. As for This Island Earth, it briefly featured on a R1 disk but was deleted years ago. Once in a blue moon you can catch them for surreal amounts on Ebay - you're talking upwards of 150 quid on a lucky day.

I honestly don't recall Forbidden Planet on R2 but could very easily be wrong.

Sorry to be the bringer of gloomy news. When you think of all the dross out there it's amazing that these classics have been ignored!!

4. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Yes, I had my doubts about Robinson Crusoe on Mars, I do know that it was released on Laserdisc, but since I don't own a laserdisc player....?!?!?!

thanks anyway...

MrB

5. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to enjoy this genre of movies getting heckled on "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" :D

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,992
    Also dont miss:

Zombies from the Stratosphere - completely laughable, also "features" Leonard Nimoy's first acting job as "3rd alien pilot" or some such.
    They saved Hitlers brain - so low budget it makes Plan 9 look quality!

EDIT: Hitlers brain is 60's sorry. Also IMDB says Nimoys character was called Narab http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045352/

7. typRat

typRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    to find out where or if a movie title is available for purchase goto
    www.imdb.com
    type in the movie name, goto the movie page, and top right will be a series
    of little icons to tell you in what format & country it has been released.
    Clicking on one of the icons will take you to an online shop selling the movie.

10. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    HI,

Not in the list but i am quietly confident that "When worlds collide" contains more cliches than any other film in history, check out the newspaper reporter!

11. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd just like to say that it appears everyone regards 50's sci-fi movies as a bit c**p, yet stuff like Forbidden Planet, Robinson Crusoe, This Island Earth (plus Them!, Shrinking Man, Day The Earth Caught Fire, When Worlds Collide, Quatermass etc) are genuine classics - and are not to be confused with Wild Women Of Wongo et al!!!!

12. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forbidden planet region 2 is out jan/feb 2005 price around £9.99