Cheepest price for a Panasonic E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bosco, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking around to try get the cheepest price for an E85 that has VHF & UHF capability and think that I have found a fantastic price from a German online store (www.technikdirect.de). The machine, including delivery via DHL or UPS was only €460 which is about £323.00 :smashin: . Also, unlike many of these German sites you can select the language that you speak (English in out case) and you have no problems reading from it. I don't know of anywhere else where you will get this product for less. I'm hoping that I will have this by the end of the week and if so I will let you know how I get on. With regards to warranty, if you experience any difficulties with the machine you can rely on Panasonic's warranty in your own country of residence and send it to your local repair agent if needed.

2. Hoppo

Hoppo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The website is (direct with a K - german spelling):

http://www.technikdirekt.de

Sounds like a great deal - let us know how soon it arrives.

3. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, it is direkt :oops: Anyway, I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

4. SpacemanSpliff

SpacemanSpliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience dealerships will often refuse to take the hit of a warranty repair if they didn't make the profit from the original sale. Shoddy behaviour, but that's life.

5. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once you're referred by Panasonic then the dealer will get paid for the repair work carried out. Let's put it this way, you live in Germany and buy your new plasma screen, amp, dvd etc there, six months after you buy it you get this great job offer in the UK and so you move, two months after you re-locate your plasma goes belly up what do you do? Me I would contact the manufacturer and demand repair per the warranty (this is why you only purchase big brand names with GLOBAL networks for support). I have already bought a Pioneer Amp for half of what it costs here and Pioneer have already confirmed in writing to me that they will support it in my country of residence as they have a support network here.

6. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the VAT man want his share or does this only apply when importing from the States,Hong Kong etc?

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    No vat, you pay German vat man. Your helping the German government but it is cheaper so you can spend more money on needless things, like food here :p

It's the common market, people moan about it but it's good if you use it.

8. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And when you think that the E95 is available for just €800 (that's about £560) you really can't help but wonder why the hell we can't do it here (or the UK which is where I'm guessing most of you are from), I suppose it's something to do with having 80+m people living there.

9. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how many poeple id there in germany then..?

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Shipping is probably more expensive to britain than mainland europe (as they could go by lorry from asia if they wanted) and the tax man only gets an extra 1.5 % (on vat atleast) so maybe its more expensive to sell things here because of other taxes or maybe the companies and retailers are just making more money here.

11. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shipping to Ireland is only €20 (about £14) and that is by UPS or DHL, shipping from the UK is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. I buy blank media from the UK all the time and to get it sent over to Ireland costs more than the E85 from Germany.

There are about 80 million people in Germany and I do think that this does impact on how much you pay for goods (the U.S. is the same).

I have been contacted by the company this morning to advise that the product is currently out of stock and that it should be delivered to me within 2 weeks :( . While this is a pain in the ass I can live with a two week wait, particularly as I'll be saving myself the best part of €400 if I was to buy it here (I'm actually getting the E85 for €40 more than I would pay to get the E55 in any of the stores in Dublin). Despite the delay I still think that it's good service, at least they contacted me rather than me having to contact them.

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    And you don't even have to pay any currencey transfer fees :p.

13. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never thought of that, another bonus :smashin: Seriously though, if more of us actually took our custom beyond our home countries then maybe there would be a reduction in the prices that we are forced to pay for items such as these. If a profit can be made on this machine at €440 then what kind of markup is there on the same machine priced at €800+? Shipping, Importation tax (to which all EU countries have to pay) and VAT does not add up to that much no matter what way you look at it.

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I do belive that germany has opted out of some of the import duties though. I'm not sure how but for example all Displays with a DVI now have to have a import tax (from outside the eu) against them because they can be used with a DVD player for example. But Germany has decided not to impose this import tax, so it is quite possible to buy displays from the far east via german and saving the 20% or what ever import tax. I read this somewhere and it could have been lies so don't quote me, but this might explain why electronics is cheaper there. Otherwise we in western (wastern) europe or being ripped off good and proper.

This also accounts for why a TFT monitor with no DVI port is alot cheaper than one with.

15. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see how that would be possible but nothing would surprise me but it wouldn't explain why other consumer electronic items are so cheep. About a year or so ago I was looking for a new AV amp and decided that the Pioneer VSX 1011 would be the one for me (this was the model down from the award winning 2011 and was just after the AXi5 and AXi10 were released). I looked in my local Hi-Fi store in Dublin where the amp was €1200. I decided that I wasn't going to spend that much on it and hit the online shops in the UK where I immediately got a reduction in price to just over €800 plus €70 shipping (still a good saving). So I decided to go through ebay and came across a German store offering the product for €480 plus €20 shipping, naturally I bought it from the German store, waited about 10 days and it was delivered via regular parcel post. The point is that I saved myself €700.00 for the EXACT SAME product, how the hell is this possible? Before anyone steps in and says that it is a Grey import, it's not, it is the GENUINE article as supplied in the EU by Pioneer, not a refurb, not a return, not a grey import, if anything German consumer law is much stricter than UK or Irish law and you would not get away with selling bogus goods by representing that they were the genuine article. Food for thought the next time you're spending big cash on consumer electronics.

16. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update. Confirmation of order received with full details of order and also of approximate delivery date (2 weeks as previously advised). Also they confirm 14 day moneyback guarantee FOR ANY REASON and return shipping is FREE OF CHARGE even if it is just a case of you not liking the colour of the unit. So far good customer service. :thumbsup:

17. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    And you can buy them (E55, E85) in black as well as silver :thumbsup:

Pat

18. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the Germans would say "Ja" :laugh:

19. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purely out of interest, are the german models 100 per cent compatible in the UK?

20. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would be interested in knowing the answer too as the E85 looks much cheaper!

My guess would be that unless there was an option for our type of PAL (I?) there would be a problem with the sound using the tuner.

The video inputs and outputs should be fine; if you have Sky you probably wouldn't use the tuner anyway!

Pat

21. joca

joca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After several weeks analyzing the best options I decided for a Panasonic E85.
    Yesterday I ordered one from the german online store TechnikDirect, for the very same 460EUR (shipping included) and I'm happy to see that someone else found it to be a very good option, too...

Based on the opinions of this forum and magazine reviews, my first choice was a Toshiba RDXS32.

My problem is: As I live in Portugal, if the set fails under the warranty (2 years), it is expensive and slower to send it to Germany to be repaired and receiving it back.

After contacting the portuguese representation of Toshiba DVD recorders, they told me that they supply warranty services ONLY for equipments of their own distribution (!).

Then I asked Toshiba UK if I could have warranty service in Portugal for a DVD recorder imported from UK. They told me that they usually provide warranty service for equipments bougth in other EU countries, and they were very surprised to know that there was no reciprocity of treatment from the portuguese representation (!).

Then I asked Toshiba Europe (based in Germany) if there was some kind of pan-european warranty for DVD recorders, like Panasonic has. They told me there wasn't, and that I had to have the set repaired in the same EU country where I bougth it...

In conclusion, Toshiba DVD recorders aren't very much global yet, and there isn't a uniform commercial behaviour...

But Panasonic seems to be more global, because they have a pan-european warranty that works the same way at least inside EU. I confirmed this information from the portuguese representation of Panasonic.

Toshiba UK also told me that technically it was VERY risky to buy that kind of equipment abroad, because there are technical details intrinsic to each country, and the equipment is customized for each country. That is probably true, at least in part. But, as far as I know, in Germany they have PAL-BG, just like here in Portugal, so importing from Germany is probably safe for me.

Importing online from Germany clearly seems a good option. And if the machine isn't compatible for any reason, they say I can always send it back and get a refund.

22. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to the website of the german store (www.TechnikDirect.de) you will see that the specs look the same as the UK model, the only exception being that it has a dual frequency tuner so you should receive VHF and UHF analog signals. This is also from the German Panasonic website:"Tuner: PAL B/ G/ H,SECAM, Kanal:VHF;UHF,CATV" so I would assume that there should be no problems with receiving analog. But if we are to be honest, why would you record analog signals to a DVD recorder? The only reason that I want the VHF input is so that it will automatically set the clock on the machine, I will never record from the analog signal. I'm also happy to see that someone else has bought from this store and that they have confirmed the warranty status with Panasonic, I would however have argued the point more with Toshiba, if they have a distributor in Portugal then they really should honour the warranty, bad Tishiba :nono:.

23. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I though we used PAL-I here ?

24. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that we do but we shall see whether it works or not, anyway as I said it will not be for analog signals so it shouldn't be a problem. One question though, for those looking to record analog signals, is there a pal converter that you could buy?

25. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There is no point getting a PAL converter! This would have to receive an RF signal convert it and retransmit it at RF to the tuner on the recorder which would then convert it again. i.e. 3 RF conversions.

Simply get an appropriate PAL standalone tuner which would have an S-Video or similar output and feed it into the recorder.

Of course with the extra cost of the tuner it might be just as cheap to buy a recorder with the appropriate tuner.

Pat

26. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't be bothered as I will only be recording from a digital source, I only want the pal signal to carry the vhf stations (I know it will effect sound quality) so that it will set the clock. I also read that if you loop the RF through the VCR (rf in to dvdr, rf out of dvdr to rf in vcr, rf out vcr to tv) that you will convert the signal to PAL I so that at the very least you still have an analog signal to the TV and VCR. I suppose if your analog signal is very strong and your recepition is very good that you may record from the analog source and as such in that case you should buy the local model, but I am saving just €400 by not doing this (even if I bought the UK model it would be no good as this only has a UHF tuner on it). I'll wait and see what gets delivered and if I'm not happy I'll return it for refund, however I don't think that it will be a problem for what I want it to do. Actually, I've just had a thought, the E85 will allow you to record direct from the TV i.e. whatever analog station that you are watching so if you DO have to record from an analog source then you could do it that way, not ideal for everyday use but it it an option. Also with regards to the signal conversion, isn't this done on the output, i.e. it takes the UHF or VHF signal in and then converts it to the output signal at a specific range? If this is correct then you can get an RF modulator that will convert the output to you TV to Pal I for £18.00

27. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update.

Just received confirmation that E85 has been handed to DHL for delivery so hopefully should have it next week :thumbsup: Excellent service so far.

For those of you who would like to record the analogue singal I would recommend that you don't go for the Panasonic imported from Germany as this will not work for you (as stated above it is PAL B/G and not PAL I as needed), if you want a machine that will do this then the Pioneer DVR 520H is on sale for €490 (about £340) and I don't think that you will get it for that price in the UK. I didn't go for this as I really want a Ram recorder (and JVC was out because its scart isnt RGB in) but this lack of analogue recordability will not effect me as I will only record from a digital source.

28. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer-DVR420 is at richersound for 350... whats the diff between the two..?

29. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DV link is the main difference, apart from that I don't think that there is much more.

30. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh right thanks Bosco, think i'll stick with the 420 then