1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checklist for Philips 32pf9886

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by linmor, Mar 23, 2005.

1. linmor

linmor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So finally I am expecting arrival of my philips 9986 tomorrow, fingers crossed. Thanks to you guys you have given me confidence in my purchase. :clap:

So what should I do then to make sure the set is in working order and to ensure I'm getting the full use of it?

Unfortunely I have only a cable connection for tv reception and a laptop with dvi digital and s-video out put for the moment. So will be trying the DVI connection. I'm aware of the borders and I don't expect much in terms of PQ. DVD player is next purchase but that's a discussion for another thread.

1. Check the firmware version by entering 123654 on the remote and it should be at least v2.3
    2. Check for dead pixels. Is there a proper way to check or as long as I don't notice from my normal viewing distance I should be ok?
    3. Buzzing from Amilight should be minimal
    4. I should receive a component adapter with the set.
    5. Just experiment and find my settings that I feel comfortable watching?

Anything thing else I should do other than sit back and enjoy?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Linmor,

You've pretty much got it right.

You say cable as TV source. Digital Cable via Set Top Box? If so use a good Scart into Ext1.

Check here before buying a DVD player. We may know things that may help where the DVD folks don't.

The Ambilight will 'tizzle' a wee bit, but its the Contrast electronucs that can buzz obtrusively.

Good base settings here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182709

Now sit back and enjoy!

Jimmy

3. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Surely if you need a PC test to check for dead pixels and you can't see them yourselves it is counter productive running this test? If after a few days you haven't visually spotted them, then they will not be a bother to you. I could see nothing worse than running this test and finding a previously invisible dead one - I would be paranoid for ever after not being able to see it in normal use but knowing it is there. And since a certain number of dead/stuck pixels are within manufacturers tolerances, it can only cause hassle/stress trying to convince a dealer/manufacturer that the screen is bad when you can only see it by running test pattens.

Just my thoughts.

5. linmor

linmor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I probably won't run a dead pixel check, I don't want to find anything wrong with it.

My tv source is probably analogue with an RF connection. I'm living in germany now and for the most part my viewing experience will be off air. With just a little german tv viewing for language skills. There are free to air digital set top boxes here too but I don't think I'll get any value out of it unless the picture is too bad from the RF cable, which looks fine when feed into the pc tv tuner.

I'm excited about the arrival. It's like waiting for news of a birth. I can't be there to take collection of tv so I just have to sit and wait in work and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

6. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Makes sense!

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Linmor,

The 9986 will do a grand job with the RF signal as long as it is half decent. Mine actually improved the picture from the picture I used to get on my old Sony 28" CRT.

Jimmy

8. linmor

linmor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It felt like waking up on christmas morning when I got home from work. Boy did it take us a while to install it in its place, but it was worth it. Some cool features that I'd didn't try out before. The setup of TV tuning and install was easy; my boyfriend and I are very impressed with the map of Europe when choosing the country. It's a geek thing.

You're right, jimsan. I couldn't fault the RF PQ, it was still impressive and Pixel Plus demo shows how good a job it does. Although I was glad to have been informed before hand about the black border when hooking up a PC through DVI. My PC also has an SVideo output. I wonder it will have the same problem, I mean feature. ;)

For TV watching in a dimmed room, I found out of the box the picture was really bright and the whites even blinding and just switching to soft\natural mode sorted it out. That's something I would recommend setting straight out of the box if you don't want to set up a customised mode straight out.

I didn't even go through the checklist specifically, I will get around to checking the firmware version. Didn't notice any humming but I'm used to have a PC humming in the room.

Looking forward to getting to know this baby even better. Compared to the crap budget TV I had back home there's no going back.

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The picture from the PC via S-Video will be scaleable to fit the screen, but PQ will suffer.

Take the time to set up the TV with the recommended settings ASAP as the default settings, as you have found, are awful.

Jimmy

10. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about the English version, but in the Dutch version that is stated in the quickstart manual. The default setting is for use in well-lighted shops.
    (they probably consider that a shop will just set it up and switch it on, and customers will eventually read the manual and find out how to set it for home use)

Unfortunately, the setting does not affect Teletext (at least on my set) and fullscreen text with level 2.5 backgrounds requires sunglasses to read it :thumbsdow