checking my dish for freesat hd? help!

jamiev

Novice Member
hi, how can i check if the dish i have will work?
what is the connection/cable look like? any pics?
i have never used the dish, it was here when we moved in about 5 years ago!
also when is the humax dtr out?
also also, will these humax boxes connect to my amp which has coaxial and optical?
will it be dd?

thanks all

jamiev

Novice Member
hi, the cable itself is black with a metal screw end with a single copper wire in the middle!

jamiev

Novice Member

hypno

Standard Member
SPDIF is Optical Audio, also known as toslink.

I think it's better to send audio data over spdif than hdmi.

It shows you how to use it on page 15 of your link

IMHO, they are similar as they are both digital transfer. What makes the difference is the output (i.e. AV receiver, speaker). The advantage of HDMI is it can both carry audio and video signals from source to receiver at the same time, hence, no audio delay (sync) and less connectivity (single cable).

Darbo

Can anyone shed light on what dish is actually necessary for for feesat hd? The one on my house was there when i moved in and was used for sky plus, it has two wires on the camera-shaped bit on the dish (not a techy, no idea what this bit is called, but it points at the dish) while my mates sky hd dish has three wires, i assume the more wires the more information is recieved, anyone know if mine is useable? or should i just bin it and get a new one?

limblee

The camera shaped bit is known as a LNB. Current Freesat boxes only require a single LNB ( one cable coming from LNB ). LNB's with more cables are for boxes with more tuners ( watch one channel whilst you record another ) .

If you plan to buy a current Freesat box ( single tuner ) you'll be fine with what you've got. As long as the dish the shape and size of the normal sky dish that's used today http://www.rckcomputers.com/custom.html (sky dish)

Bachstrad

Novice Member
Can anyone shed light on what dish is actually necessary for for feesat hd? The one on my house was there when i moved in and was used for sky plus, it has two wires on the camera-shaped bit on the dish (not a techy, no idea what this bit is called, but it points at the dish) while my mates sky hd dish has three wires, i assume the more wires the more information is recieved, anyone know if mine is useable? or should i just bin it and get a new one?
Your mate most probably had a 'mutiroom' installation, as he had three feeds coming from his dish i.e. Sky TV in more than one room.

You don't say how long it was since you moved in, but it is highly likely that the dish and LNB are fine. You'll only need one feed right now, two if you're going to hang on for a Freesat PVR. However, if you're unshure and the installation fee isn't a problem for you, have a new dish too.

ATB

Max

Darbo

Checked my dish earlier, it's a quad lnb using two cables, for some reason someone has cut one of the cables outside, am i right in thinking i can get some decent co-ax and the relevent connections and fix it?