Question Checking if AV receiver or subwoofer has developed a fault

King Mustard

I have a Yamaha HTR-2071 AV receiver (2017 model) and a Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 powered subwoofer.

The AV receiver was purchased new from Richer Sounds in January 2019.

The subwoofer was purchased new in February 2019.

They're connected to each other via. a phono to phono cable.

Things were perfect until about a month ago, when the subwoofer stopped working. It shows power (the LED on unit itself) but makes no sound. No settings were changed on the AV receiver.

I am unsure if it was the subwoofer or AV receiver at fault.

I do not have a spare subwoofer or AV receiver to test with.

I called Richer Sounds (Lichfield branch) who told me to remove the phono from the AV receiever end and touch it and, if there's buzzing from the subwoofer, it's the AV receiver at fault.

I will be home in a few hours to test this but is their advice accurate? If not, is there another way to test which is at fault?

Dolus

1) Has the gain control on the subwoofer been turned down?

2) Is the phono cable connected to the subwoofer out socket on the Yamaha

3) In the Yamaha speaker settings, has the subwoofer been removed?

4) Does the Yamaha test tone for the subwoofer play through the subwoofer.

5) Do what Richer says but turn the gain on the sub lower then normal so as not to scare the cat and children.

5) If no thump/buzz with 5 try a different phono cable.

Edit
The SW-150 has an 'Auto Power' on off switch. If you use it try turning it off. If the signal from the AVR is too low the sub will not sense it and will not switch on.

Last edited:

King Mustard

1) Has the gain control on the subwoofer been turned down?

2) Is the phono cable connected to the subwoofer out socket on the Yamaha

3) In the Yamaha speaker settings, has the subwoofer been removed?

4) Does the Yamaha test tone for the subwoofer play through the subwoofer.

5) Do what Richer says but turn the gain on the sub lower then normal so as not to scare the cat and children.

6) If no thump/buzz with 5 try a different phono cable.

Edit
The SW-150 has an 'Auto Power' on off switch. If you use it try turning it off. If the signal from the AVR is too low the sub will not sense it and will not switch on.
1, 2) Please see attached photo. Those settings used to work perfectly.

3) Nope, no settings were changed on the AV receiver

4) Five speakers work fine, zero out of the subwoofer

5) Not sure what that means; I used the settings in the photo to test the 'thump'

6) Tried a second cable, no sound from the subwoofer at all

IMG_20191009_165923.jpg

Dolus

5) Not sure what that means; I used the settings in the photo to test the 'thump'
The settings in the photo have the gain (volume) set maximum so if you did get thump/buzz it would have been mighty loud. :eek:

A bit of a long shot but the only other thing I can suggest is that you have the phono lead plugged int the left socket on the sub. Try using the right just in case it is the left input that is bad.

King Mustard

The settings in the photo have the gain (volume) set maximum so if you did get thump/buzz it would have been mighty loud. :eek:

A bit of a long shot but the only other thing I can suggest is that you have the phono lead plugged int the left socket on the sub. Try using the right just in case it is the left input that is bad.
I'd have had it at 11 if I could ;)

Tried the bottom-left socket - exact same result :/

So now it's either the subwoofer or the AV receiver circuitry/socket.

dms

Do you have anything else in the house which would output a line out which you can plug in to the sub to see if anything comes out? Back in the day I had some decks/ oc sound cards that would.

Alternatively can you wire up plain old speaker cable to the sub to the speaker level inputs from either your amp (either from the port labelled sub or one of the mains because you know those work)? or anything else you have in the house which might have speaker cable outputs. The idea here is simply to see if you can get any sound out of the amp at all from a source which you know works elsewhere.

It doesn't have to be a sub lineout you wire up to see if the sub is working or not.

King Mustard

Do you have anything else in the house which would output a line out which you can plug in to the sub to see if anything comes out? Back in the day I had some decks/ oc sound cards that would.

Alternatively can you wire up plain old speaker cable to the sub to the speaker level inputs from either your amp (either from the port labelled sub or one of the mains because you know those work)? or anything else you have in the house which might have speaker cable outputs. The idea here is simply to see if you can get any sound out of the amp at all from a source which you know works elsewhere.

It doesn't have to be a sub lineout you wire up to see if the sub is working or not.
I'm really not sure if I have a combination of cables and devices that would work.

It's due to be returned today for them to check it over. I'll continue with that and let you all know :)