Checking for dead/ stuck pixels

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by pateja, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. pateja

pateja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Heh,

Hope someone can give me a little advice on checking for dead or stuck pixels on a new screen.

Although I have not bought yet; I will be buying the 26S2030 in the next few days.

Call me paranoid, but knowing my luck i'll get one of the dodgy screens...:mad:

So three things

(a) Best way to check on day 1
    (b) Anyone know Sonys policy, John Lewis told me for this screen they would not consider it faulty if it had up to 6 dead pixels.
    (c) If I was unluck and had a few dead pixels, where would I stand? Would I have to grin and bear it or could I just refund the set even if it had been opened

Apologies for the paranoia, £699 is a hefty investment for me

Thanks,

JP

2. CFCCFC

CFCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hiya, suggest you inform the store when you buy it that you are very sensitive to patchy light,and though they may not consider it faulty with up to 6 dead pixels, you will. See what they say. They may make a private agreement with you.

At the end of the day, they can say what they like, but the only objective test is what the courts would accept as being of satisfactory quality. If you bought a leg of lamb and the butcher said, if 10% of it is rotten, that's what we expect to be bad as a matter of course, they know that you would't accept that as reasonable and fit for the purpose. If you're prepared to go to Small claims court they'll refund you before you get there, I should think.

Lewis's will refund with a week if you say you just don't like the set,but if it has been tuned in or otherwise used you'll find that they want a restocking fee. The fee varies from branch to branch, it's between 10-15% usually.

On the other hand, if you've seen a set in the store which you beleive to be perfect, why not say you want THAT particular set and see what they say?

3. pateja

pateja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your advice...

Think I would prefer a brand new set as in the sales there were loads of people playing with the displays in my local JL.

It was the manager of the TV section that advised me that this was Sonys policy...

Debenhams is also offering a 5yr guarantee; so will see if they have a better in store policy.

I'm a little dissapointed JL don't have there own instore policy...

Thanks

Jay

4. jonny round boy

jonny round boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In my experience they will make a private agreement with you, and say it's not a problem, blah, blah. They'll tell you what they think you want to hear.

Then if you have any problems, they'll deny ever having said anything!