• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Checking an mot with just a reg?

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
From a google it seems impossible, but worth an ask anyhow,

Basically I'm worried my work van mot is due, I can't rely on my boss to make sure it doesn't expire. I'm currently applying to the police and can be doing without getting done for no MOT!!

I've been searching trying to find out if there's a way but I seem to need the v5 or mot test number. Can't see the point in that personally

Thug

Do you have an iPhone or Samsung?
There is an free app called 'MyCarCheck' that you can get. I use it all the time for work.
Put in the reg and it will show the date of first registration (amongst other info). If 2 years has expired then it requires as MOT.

This will only help on its first MOT as you wont know when previous ones were done using this method. You will need to have a word with a garage, the police or find the previous certificate.

Incidentally, you wont really get done as there is a stated case in law which can protect you. However your works can be done for 'use, cause and permit'.

Last edited:

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Do you have an iPhone or Samsung?
There is an free app called 'MyCarCheck' that you can get. I use it all the time for work.
Put in the reg and it will show the date of first registration (amongst other info). If 2 years has expired then it requires as MOT.

Thanks, I use an iPhone.

The van is an 08 I just couldn't remember when last year it was done, I'm sure it's April time.

Will check it out thanks

Thug

Thanks, I use an iPhone.

The van is an 08 I just couldn't remember when last year it was done, I'm sure it's April time.

Will check it out thanks

Ah, being an '08 changed things.
You will need to have a word with a garage or find your previous certificate.
The App will only help if the MOT has been done at the correct times when required. For example, if it was registered in April, then you will have to assume it was MOT'd every April since, so may not be as safe.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Ah, being an '08 changed things.
You will need to have a word with a garage or find your previous certificate.
The App will only help if the MOT has been done at the correct times when required. For example, if it was registered in April, then you will have to assume it was MOT'd every April since, so may not be as safe.

Ah I see. I'm going to email him tomorrow and remind him to find out, he really is useless at keeping on top of these things and it worries me as I can only ask him and as I say I don't want to be getting done for no MOT.

Thanks for your help

hufartd

Just tell him your positive it was due on the first or second.
That will force him to check straight away, if your wrong just shrug it off as a bit of brain fade,If your right it gets sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom