1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check this out!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by haujobbz, Jun 16, 2003.

1. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

Designed without compromise, and has been used by plasma owners for over two years now. Just check the history of this forum to see the many happy customers.

Features include:

Broadcast quality sync extraction to ensure that it's faithful with the source.

Unique Computer enhancement, important for sources with Macrovision.

Built in power supply - just plug in and go.

Options to use your own cables. You're not stuck to one length or one band of cable.

PAL/NTSC compatible. Ideal for Sky, Freeview (On/ITV Digital) Digital Cable and games machines.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hificables.co.uk say:
    You mean they haven't heard of the JS RGB2VGA unit? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Dr John better get his thinking hat on if these guys have converted a standard QED Q-SYNC extractor into something that resolves format switching, poor source resolution, lip sync delay etc and all for £150.00; and no mention that not all Plasma displays will accept a converted RGBHV signal from a video source!

And I'm sure they have heard of the good Dr!

Best regards

Joe

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What can I say? Some people like to burry their heads in the sand! Other's know better.

I've already pointed out to HiFicables some months ago about my units.

We've also had customers who have tried other solutions (including the QED), found problems, and then used the JS Technology solution. Only then did they get a stable picture. That's why the Component converter is built on Plasma VGA technology - it's simply the best.

All the best,

John.

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Joe, is this simply a PAL/NTSC RGsB scart to RGBHV 15-pin VGA converter -- like a better SyncBlaster -- or am I missing something here?

What do you mean by "resolves format switching, poor source resolution"?

How does their lip sync delay work? There's only a VGA plug on the end, where does the delayed audio output; is it digital or analogue audio?

StooMonster

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    StooMonster:
    The one who laughs last didn't get the joke!

I think Joe was pointing out that there are other issues which this cable doesn't address. Not all plasma screens are compatible with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, and from experience I can advise which product to opt for. In some cases, you'll require RGB to Component instead. Indeed, in your system if you have an amplifier which can switch component this may be the preferred option.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Stoomonster,

Joe's picking on QED's great comment:

"This is the first product we have seen that fully addresses all of the problems that plasma users often face in connecting to their input devices."

As their device barely touches the surface of plasma install problems!!! :) Also worth noting that Hitachi plasmas and one or two others don't take RGB video in (i.e. don't accept 15.625Khz video) and hence don't work with any form of sync extractor.

9. mike1

mike1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Q sync and I am not imprested with it I use it from sky to 50" fujitsu I would like to compare it to the js component converter

Mike

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    :blush: :eek: :laugh: haha. So, it is like a sync-blaster then?

I did wonder and thought "This is the first product we have seen that fully addresses all of the problems that plasma users often face in connecting to their input devices." was against Trades Descriptions Act!

I have two JS-Tech RGB2YUV converters for Sky digital to flat screen displays, one for my 50" plasma and the other for my LCD. Personally I would not consider anything else, and have recommended JS-Tech to many friends who are just as pleased with them.

StooMonster

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Stoomonster

Apologies it was late and I'm obviously not great with my smart arse comments.

As Liam says I was having a wee laugh at the add mans line - he ought to sell that one to QED though.

Best regards

Joe

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    No I didn't...

Oh hang on a minute, there's another Liam here now. I still get a shock when someone shouts out "Liam" in the street and they don't mean me... :suicide:

Cheers,
    Liam :cool:

13. Skillz

Skillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be Devils advocate here, I have the Q-Sync and am very happy with it, it produces a better image, in my opinion than I got with Component video with my DVD player (Sony DVPNS-900) and also a very Crisp and stable image using Sky box as well, and the added benfit of being able to use the RGB switching of my DVD player to change between Sky and DVD, without havin to mess with Plasma inputs (Easier for my very non-tech parents).

My Plasma is a Fujistsu 4242, and the only recommendation I would give is that those people who may have problems with image adjust the Clamp Position settings, which in my case removed a rolling bands of brightness from the picture when used with PAL VCDs and DVD's.

Anyway its not all bad.

(p.s. most of my Cables are QED)

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Skillz,
    My point is that I designed the Plasma VGA interface several years ago now, and it's been used in numerous installations in difficult conditions and without incident. It's the combination of the broadcast quality components, with computer enhancements, which makes the unit so good at what it does. It's the only unit which gives you true H-Sync output - very important. Added to this, you have a choice of which cables you can use with the unit.

Not sure about adjusting the clamp positions though. We only had this with the first prototype, and it was this which made us realise that you do require broadcast quality components. Therefore, the production RGB to Plasma VGA unit is completely different to the first prototype. In fact, the current design of the Plasma VGA is several generations on from that prototype!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

15. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    skillz how bigger improvement is the qsync over the component ca you explain the differences pls

thankz;)

16. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The difference also depends on the quality of your source, but the RGB to Plasma VGA route is typically slightly sharper than component. Component video circuits normally have band limited colour signals (with reference to the monochrome signal).

In my design of an RGB to Component converter, the colour signals aren't band limited. The result is a sharper than normal component signal, and the difference between RGB and YUV is much reduced.

In all cases, component should be superior to S-Video, and certainly composite. Although, there's always exceptions to the rule. And some may find that component give better results on their plasma than VGA.

All the best,

Dr John.