Check this out - need advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Derek Mitchell, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    in your esteemed opinions what is better....

1) Combined Home Theatre kit i.e Sony DAVS 550

OR

2) Seperate DVD and amp/spkr kit.

I have just got the DAVS550 however, not that impressed. Also, the davs 550 does not have a scart output, lathough has s-video.
    What is better.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Derek

2. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Decent seperates are pretty much a guarantee to give better results.....but match the items well.... decide on your total budget and them search arround for the good equipment that will fall within that figure.

S-Video is good, but in general RGB Scart is better. You need to ensure that your TV can accept the RGB signal, otherwise you will just use a composite signal over scart which will be inferior to the S-Video output.

3. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Derek, seperated are no doubt the best but it really depends on your budget and if you have a fussy wife! For the money the Sony is a great buy (got the S550 myself). Due to subtitle problems with the Sony model at the start I have had 3 DAV units. All 3 units seemed to lack bass at the start, either I get used to them after a while or after a weeks use the bass quality improves.