1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheating Ahem!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John Watts, Apr 25, 2003.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Ok, I use the full 7 speakers and a sub im my main room from my Denon 3801.

I also use the 2 speakers to my zone B.

Now my question is- Can i be cheeky and splice into the speaker cable from my zone B speakers and in effect have a zone C? I'm aware that they will only play the same source at the same time but will it be dangerous to the reciever or speakers?

If not then would it not be possible to "pipe" music to every room with this method?

It sounds simple but so am i ha ha ha.
    Somebody please tell me if i can do this.
    Cheers,
    John.

2. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Please guys, one of you must know!

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could do that, but i really wouldnt advise it! It will put a tremendous load on the amp. I'd be sure that those outputs really should be used with an easy load in the first plce, id be almost sure what you are proposing would cause problems........ you know what they say....... aint no such thing as a free lunch!

ad

4. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Buns.

Can i just clarify. Would doing what i suggest increase the impeadence? therefore making the amp work harder?

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The impedance level will be extremly low- your amp will start to clip.. and possibly damage the tweeters, or at least shut off.

If you really want three zones why not use the digital output from the Denon into a cheap AV amp.. or maybe the analogue outputs into a cheap integrated amp.. no problems (apart from analogue will pickup noise)

Maybe we should call you Madonion? :)

6. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Nathan, What if i run the speakers in series? this would work. Would it not?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never tried running speakers in series.. just done the usual thing (normal powering, biamping) etc..

8. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I remember when the old DSPAX1 amp came out you needed an extra 2 speaker outputs to run the rear speakers but the review said that you could run the speakers in series with no probs.

Or something to that effect. Please correct me if im wrong.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The normal rules will have me saying you add impedences in parallel and you get a lower impedence (larger load) but will then have me say that in series adding 2 impedences will give a larger impedence (easier load)....... but i cant really beleive that! Actually....... i can........ if you wire in parallel, each speaker will recieve the same power as for only one set wired, thus effectively the impedence is halved. that much is ok. In series, the combined circuit recieves the same power for one set of speakers, or 2 or 3...... so effectively the impedences increase and shouldnt overload the amp (because the same power is being used). Thats good, but the downside is that you will only get half the power being supplied to each speaker....

now that makes theoretical sense to me.... im not sure on the practical implications! Mike K will come along eventually and sort it out!

ad

10. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The thing is no one will tell you to do some thing that might harm your equipment. But on the other hand ive run two sets of rear speakers on the same channel before now (not on the equipment ive got now mind) and had no problems.

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    John.

It is quite simple, if you connect speakers in series the amp will "see" both loads. i.e 2 x 8 ohm speakers will present a 16 ohm load (as opposed to 2 x 8 ohm speakersi in parallel will present a 4 ohm load)

You can connect speakers in series until the cows come home you will simply lose gain per speaker, your amp will not mind in the slightest in this respect.
    The only issue you may face is that if you are running so many speakers in series if you do not have the facitlity to isolate individual pairs you may have to run the front output (when level matching) so high that you may either not have the +db gain to match or you will be driving the fronts amps quite hard in comparison and at the expense of the remaining chanels given your Denon is working on a single "power sharing" transformer.
    Your "thoery" will work quite happily in practice but i would recommend a switching facility at zones 2 and 3 to bridge them out of circuit - but maintain continuity!
    i would not place a "bypass" switch at all three speaker positions as this might offer the opportunity to "accidentally" bridge all 3 zones and present a short circuit to the amp.
    doing this will mean you might have to continuously change the output level for matching in zone 1.

After all this carry on i would recommend the purchase of a Rotel RB966 or the older RB956 poweramps (6x60w/6x30w respectively) which would allow you to pre-amp out to these amps and power up to 3 seperate zones properly.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and method 1 i feel would become "a pain in the proverbial" after about 10 minutes.

Regards

Steve.

12. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Steve and everyone else,
    I think that just about covers it.

13. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Wiring in parrallel is not generally a good idea on intergated AV amplifiers the load is often too great, wiring in series is less dangerous but the speakers will receive much less power at 16 ohms rarther than 8.

The most safe idea is to use another amplifer run off the AV Receiver as a source.