Cheapo DVD Recorder with DivX?

trjp

Firstly - Hello - been lurking awhile but I can't find what I'm needing so I have to ask - sorry!

Need a DVD Recorder to complement my new Sky+ box - it's only purpose will be to dump material from Sky+ to discs for later use - and to playback rented/owned DVDs of course.

It is VERY important that the discs it records will playback on any DVD player tho - partly cos I know the damned thing won't last all that long and I don't want to be left with a stack of discs which don't play on anything else :)

I would also be nice if it played DivX discs as that means I can dump my old DVD (which plays DivX but has long-since given up playing DVDs for some reason!!)

Budget is tight - £120 is the max really - would like under £100 if poss - and high street preferrable to mailorder as I've had some nasty experiences with mail order of late.

I looked at some Liteon models in Currys - but the Net suggests they write discs few other players can deal with.

There's a Phillips model in Asda, Currys, Woolies etc. which appears OK but it's slightly over budget.

Am I right to avoid the Liteons?

Any other places/models I could consider.

I've seen the nice Pannys in Richer Sounds - but no DivX...

Cheers!

p.s, No reqs for HDTV - just a 28" 'tube' here - no need for DV or any of that...

trjp

Do you need Freeview?

If not, how about the Samsung HR-730?

No need for Freeview - reception here is laughable hence Sky...

That Samsung is an HDD player I think?

As I have Sky+ I don't really see a need for an HDD recorder - wel TWO HDD recorders - that said, it seems there are fewer and fewer non HDD models around...

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom